T-Mobile locked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peter5s, Nov 5, 2014.

1. peter5s macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.1. and now I need a T-Mobile nano sim card to activate my phone. I live in Venezuela so I don't have access to any T-Mobile store or something.

So questions:

1) If I buy a T-Mobile sim card from e-Bay, will the card activate my iPhone?

2) Does that card need to be attached to a contract?

3) The sim card has to be already activated? Or can I just activate the iPhone with an unactivated T-Mobile sim card?

4) A friend traveled to U.S. recently and he has a T-Mobile micro sim card. If I borrow his card, will it work? Knowing that he only used the card while he was traveling, so it should have like 3-4 months without use. Asking this, because I would have to drive 4 hours to get there.

In addition, a store in the airport (5 hours away from my location) sells T-Mobile sim cards but with a month plan. It costs around 80$ so I guess it's not a option.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

2. noobinator macrumors 601

I'd assume any active tmobile sim would work. Borrow your friends.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Any working T-Mobile sim will do. It does not need to have a plan on it.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm still wondering why a T-Mobile SIM is required if you're not using T-Mobile service?

My 6 arrived with 8.0.something and I upgraded to 8.1 -- it never needed to see the original TMO SIM, was always fully happy with the AT&T SIM I pulled from my 5S.

5. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

If it's unlocked, any sim will work.

If it's not unlocked, how are you using it without any sim?

If you've purchased a locked phone, and have no sim, and was using it as an expensive iPod Touch, why didn't you make sure you got a sim at the time of purchase?

This whole thread makes no sense....

6. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the point. It's not unlocked and I'm NOT using it with sim. I'm stuck in the activation part. I was using the phone with a turbo sim this whole time, but it no longer works because I updated to iOS 8.1. and I want to be able to use my phone at least as an iPod Touch, so there's the thread.

7. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the confusion but if your phone is locked, how will activating it help in any way? You dont need a sim to use it as an "ipod touch". Inserting a sim won't unlock it right? Or am I missing something?

8. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you need a sim to use it as an iPod Touch. You need the sim to ACTIVATE the iPhone. After that, you can remove the sim card and use it as an iPod Touch. That's what I want. That's the point of the whole thread.

9. Allthings-I, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Allthings-I macrumors 6502

I am not sure what all you planning to do with the phone after you get "In" because its not like you can use it with your local carrier...the phone is now locked to T-Mobile USA.

Also im not sure if T-Mobile operates in your country but that T-Mobile would be different than T-Mobile USA and I am sure that T-Mobile phones are not interpretable on various country T-Mobile networks.....

Sure you can get a T-Mobile Post paid SIM and roam for a bit but how long? They have limitation on it as to how long you can use the SIM outside USA and if your usage is too long too often they will disconnect you.

What you need to do is get your phone unlocked (Cost is high) but at least it'll be factory unlocked for all networks.

EDIT: just read that you want to use it as expensive iPod Touch, well why don't you just order a SIM from eBay? It'll save you all the trouble about traveling etc and it'll be a SIM you can keep so you can use it if you decide to update or restore your new iPod

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you just want to use it as an ipod touch then any tmobile sim will get you passed the activation and into the homescreen.
    But as you know it will not work with any other carriers sim.

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Got it. Thanks for 'splainin. Just use your friends sim or get one cheap online. Good luck.

12. nox5 macrumors 6502

any tmobile usa sim even dead sim will do the trick. just make sure you have wifi connection.
    You can also unlock it from tmobile for about $100. that's what i would do.

13. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey.

I put my friends T-Mobile sim card on the iPhone and it didn't work. How can I be sure what's the carrier of my phone? I thought it was T-Mobile because that's what the seller told me.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

If it were active, you'd get the Model from Settings->General->About

Otherwise look at the box for something like MG5A2LL/A or similar; I think it's on the label along with IMEI and such. Cross reference to http://leimobile.com/iphone-6-model-numbers/

15. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

It says it is ME305LL/A

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx