t-mobile locked sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micho119, Oct 9, 2014.

1. micho119 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I know that the discussion have been going for a long time, and the final answer is that t-mobile contract free version bought from apple retail or online store is unlocked, but ! :

My friend got his iphone 6 t-mobile, turn it on, then tried to insert another sim card (Syrian one) and it was showing a screen with sim-invalid.

So what I want to make sure that this won't happen to me, my main question is :
    If I inserted a sim card from international provider inside the US with no roaming (i.e. no network coverage at all, only useless sim in the tray), can I activate my phone? or what screen will appear here if it was locked?

Thanks,

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

t-mobile locked sim

I have a filipino, costa rican, and British sims at home in my travel kit.
    But... I activated my TMo iPhone6 with my USA Cricket SIM so can't help you. Curious though.

3. protox macrumors regular

Sounds like he didn't buy a contract free T-Mobile one.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

If there's any sort of carrier financing on the phone it's going to be locked.

You need to pay full price up front to get an unlocked version. If for some reason it *was* locked, then a phone call to customer service to get it unlocked would solve the matter. Same for once the financing is paid off.