T-Mobile LTE questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Jun 5, 2013.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I'm aware that T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 Mhz AWS for LTE and AT&T uses 700 Mhz. What are the major differences between these bands? Also, would an AT&T 5 work fully on T-Mobile's LTE when unlocked?

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Building penetration. 700 is significantly better at it than AWS.

Yes.

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

T-Mobile will have a higher network capacity. Won't get congested like att. T-Mobile will have less dropped calls. Att has better building penetration however newer technologies have improved T-Mobile penetration issues. T-Mobile has faster 4G data.

4. AutoUnion39, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

T-Mobile supports about 100 million users on their network (like VZW/AT&T), correct?

I'm curious. Elaborate.

Not really no. Average 4G speeds in most major cities put AT&T/VZW well ahead of TMo.

HSPA speeds are a copout excuse, when both VZW/AT&T have as much LTE than TMo has HSPA these days and exponentially more EVDO/HSPA

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Try about half that.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I'm well aware of that fact. I was directing that towards the other guy who said that TMo has a larger network capacity, which is a ridiculous statement to make, especially since they cater to a much smaller user base

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

T-Mobile is using dual-carrier HSPA+, which permits more throughput PER CONNECTION, but actually the cost of overall capacity.

It IS unlikely that T-Mobile will get congested any sooner than AT&T's network, but that's more a virtue of T-Mobile having far fewer users on their networks.

And right now, and probably for some time to come, T-Mobile's major problem is LTE coverage. AT&T hasn't been very aggressive in deploying LTE, but T-Mobile is way, way behind.

There's no way to guarantee that. Dropped calls are a function of many factors, coverage among them, and T-Mobile doesn't have nearly the coverage footprint of the three larger carriers above it.

Where I live, for example, I'll get way more missed/dropped calls on T-Mobile than AT&T, and I'm not in the boondocks.

That's dependent on cellular density, and granted in some major cities in their core urban centers, T-Mobile has it. But it's not uniform.

Don't getme wrong: if the OP (or anyone else) lives/travels in the areas for the US where T-Mobile has decent coverage, then it's worth going there. But if you're not, you're going to be very frustrated.

8. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Are there any benefits to T-Mobile's band? Thanks. :)

And thank you everyone else replying as well. I'm trying to understand the differences between AT&T and T-Mobile's networks (among other carriers) and it's all pretty confusing. :confused:

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You might want to check out this thread. (updated weekly)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ching-and-speculation?p=15151325#post15151325

Multiple markets announced weekly on top of the 79 (37 of those are done now) they said they would be done by the end of summer.

TMo/Sprint only dream of deploying LTE as fast as VZW/AT&T.

Good point, but TMo is forced to have a dense grid because they run on PCS and AWS. Just a downside of the band they use.

NYC seems to be a very good market for TMo.

----------

Not really no. AWS is perfectly fine, but again, only issue is building penetration. There are tons of reports of TMo users dropping down to EDGE inside buildings, whereas VZW/Sprint/AT&T users can, at least, maintain a 3G connection.

AWS/PCS forces the carrier to space their towers closer together (which isn't a bad thing btw), whereas VZW/AT&T can get away with more spacing because they use 700 for LTE

If you're in a top metro area and don't travel often, TMo is fine, otherwise I'd look elsewhere because they just have too much EDGE out there.