T-Mobile making an extra buck

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Placed an order for an iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, paid in full. Looked over my order to check the status, and noticed:

T-Mobile Cost:

Apple Cost:

Really T-Mobile? So let's ballpark this... say ~1,000,000 customers have ordered that phone (or *will* order that phone). T-Mobile makes an extra $1,000,000 with this little trick.

Not cool. Canceling my order out of principle.

Last edited:

LandoVol

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Maybe this is how esurance is really saving us those dollars. They are in cahoots with Tmob.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Apple doesn't do prices ending in .99 but if you look at other retailers selling iPads, MacBooks or iPhones they all pretty much do. It's not unique to T-mobile.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Apple doesn't do prices ending in .99 but if you look at other retailers selling iPads, MacBooks or iPhones they all pretty much do. It's not unique to T-mobile.
It's unique in that T-Mobile is the only carrier selling above the prices listed on apple.com.

If you buy the *same* phone from Apple (i.e. T-Mobile, no contract), it's $0.99 cheaper.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Have you considered Apple may charge T=Mobile more per phone, wholesale, than the other carriers because of the dual band compatibility?

----------

That's not full retail price. Only a "payment" to ATT to subsidize it. The OP is stating full price.
I'm trying to think what that would buy Apple. *Maybe* if Apple thought 'unsubsidized phones won't be our big sellers, so let's add a premium to the carrier.' But if that were the case, you'd think T-Mobile would respond with 'fair enough, but we want 1/2 of your unsubsidized inventory.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.