MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TMobile-Mobile-Without-Borders-250x145.jpg
T-Mobile has announced a new "Un-carrier" move called "Mobile Without Borders" that enables customers with Simple Choice postpaid and prepaid plans to send and receive unlimited phone calls, text messages and use 4G LTE data in Canada and Mexico at no additional cost. The extended three-country plan will be available starting July 15 in select Canadian and Mexican markets.

T-Mobile customers with Simple Choice plans will be able to make unlimited calls to and from the United States to any number, including landlines and mobile phones, in Mexico and Canada, alongside unlimited text messaging and the full monthly allotment of 4G LTE data they would normally have in the U.S. at no extra charge. Music Freedom is included while roaming in Canada or Mexico.

Canadian and Mexican residents looking to take advantage of this T-Mobile promotion are out of luck, as Simple Choice customers must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on T-Mobile's network in the U.S. The carrier also warns that Simple Choice plans are not intended for extended international usage. Data Stash will be available for use while in Canada or Mexico later this year.

Coverage in Canada includes Banff National Park, Bay of Fundy, Brampton, Burnaby, Calgary, Edmonton, Gatineau, Halifax, Hamilton, Kitchener, Laval, London, Longueuil, Markham, Mississauga, Montreal, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Quebec City, Regina, Richmond, Saskatoon, St Johns, Surrey, Toronto, Vancouver, Vaughan, Victoria, Whistler, Windsor and Winnipeg. Coverage in Mexico includes 117 markets.

Mobile-Without-Borders-T-Mobile-Chart-800x312.png

Starting next Wednesday, customers that sign up for a new Simple Choice postpaid or prepaid plan will automatically be enrolled in the Mobile Without Borders program. Existing Simple Choice customers can opt-in online, by phone or at a T-Mobile store for free. T-Mobile customers on promotional or legacy plans can add Mobile Without Borders for $10 per month. Mobile Without Borders business plans are also available.

Article Link: T-Mobile Now Offers Unlimited Talk, Text and 4G LTE Data in Canada and Mexico at No Additional Charge

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Love this company for what it's doing to shake up the wireless industry. I've dealt with getting hit with roaming charges in the past, and it's not pretty, and it's cumbersome to have to call up to guess and gauge when how much you'll have to use before you even get there.

Comment

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Waiting for the day when borders won't matter with any carrier. It's coming, I know. But not soon enough, IMO. I remember when I had to worry about incurring roaming charges just for turning my phone on when I visited another US city.

Comment

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
This is great. As someone with family in Canada, this will simplify contacting them and make visiting them even easier.

Comment

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I'm guessing the $30 5GB LTE plan is a "promotional or legacy plan?" Not worth $10 a month to add this unless you can add only for the month when you'll be traveling...then that would be a great deal. Interested to see how easily it can be turned on and off.

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
omg meanwhile T-Mobile DEUTSCHLAND gets u 200 mb to 1 GB : ) and 50 mb for 5€ roaming

jealous

Comment

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I hope T-Mobile has success disrupting the roaming mess in the US soon too.

I live near the Canadian border, so this will be nice for me when I cross it now. Unfortunately I still have family that lives near where T-Mobile roams to a rural carrier. At most, a T-Mobile phone will get 50MB a month in data usage. After that, complete cutoff.

Comment

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Wish some of the Canadian carriers would get their act together. Americans can get unlimited data in 3 countries for $10 a month. Meanwhile to get 500mb of data (in only canada, the charges for turning my phone in the states would kill me) added onto my already expensive plan cost me over $30 a month.

Just out of curiosity, since I want to compare what kind of things people get, what kind of plans do Americans on here have? I mean as far as calling, texting and data is concerned?

I have a "reasonably" priced Canadian plan at $80 a month for unlimited text and calling (across Canada) and 500mb of data.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Do something like this in Europe and they will really get something going. This is a great deal for anyone in the US near a border town.
European carriers are getting mandated to offer this by 2017 and some carriers ('Free' in France) are starting to offer this already earlier.

Comment

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Heck yes, I live in San Diego and visit Tijuana frequently. Roaming speeds were abysmal unless I manually changed carriers to a different one from the default. This is excellent news!

Wish some of the Canadian carriers would get their act together. Americans can get unlimited data in 3 countries for $10 a month. Meanwhile to get 500mb of data (in only canada, the charges for turning my phone in the states would kill me) added onto my already expensive plan cost me over $30 a month.

Just out of curiosity, since I want to compare what kind of things people get, what kind of plans do Americans on here have? I mean as far as calling, texting and data is concerned?

I have a "reasonably" priced Canadian plan at $80 a month for unlimited text and calling (across Canada) and 500mb of data.

I pay $120 a month for 6 lines, plus I get a 10% discount from my employer which takes care of taxes and monthly fees. Everyone pays equally (except for roaming charges and whatnot) so I am paying ~$22 a month for unlimited calls and texts, and 2.5GB of LTE Data (speeds are capped to 128kbps after that).

Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I hope they have better T-Mobile coverage in Mexico and Canada compared to the United States.

Note to T-Mobile: Most customers would rather have better coverage then gimmicks. Build more cell towers.

Comment

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Do something like this in Europe and they will really get something going. This is a great deal for anyone in the US near a border town.
With AT&T I suffer every time I travel to Europe; most of the time I book hotels just based on the availability of wifi

Reactions: krazifour
Comment

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I hope they have better T-Mobile coverage in Mexico and Canada compared to the United States.

Note to T-Mobile: Most customers would rather have better coverage then gimmicks. Build more cell towers.

Yeah I agree T Mobile is fantastic for anybody that gets smothered with coverage and not so much for those that live in locations that are left out. I for one live in the Chicagoland suburbs area and get fantastic coverage (always LTE) that's of course until I go inside a Wal Mart or such.

Comment

precious1b

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
I travel back and forth to Toronto several times a year. I just picked up the Verykool Android s4010 from Yippz. It does all the voice and AWS data bands (LTE) in the US and Canada so roaming is seamless. It's super fast.

Reactions: Joe Rossignol
Comment

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
🇨🇦

I agree that Canadian carriers offer ridiculously expensive and awful plans compared to what is available to Americans. Bell/Rogers/Telus charge exorbitant prices.

You should phone your carrier's customer retention department to get a better deal. I have unlimited talk + text and 12GB of 4G LTE shared data between 3 phones for $65/mo per line.

Unfortunately still a joke compared to what I pay as a T-Mobile prepaid customer when I'm on travel in NYC or elsewhere in the U.S. But what can you do…

Comment

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
European carriers are getting mandated to offer this by 2017 and some carriers ('Free' in France) are starting to offer this already earlier.

Well I meant for T-Mobile US to offer free high speed roaming in Europe. But that's awesome.

I'm currently paying $33/month (after taxes) for 2.5GB of data and unlimited calls/texts with a t-mobile reseller. It includes international data roaming too (limited to about 100~200kbps).

Last edited:
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Well, why not both? The reality is that T-Mobile is building and upgrading cell towers at rapid pace. And it can offer "gimmicks" like this at the same time.

But due to T-Mobile's spectrum ownership, it is unlikely to match AT&T nor Verizon in the near term. At the very least, however, this move should pressure other carriers to ante up.

Comment

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Three in the UK are setting the example for European carriers.

Unlimited 4G data + tethering
Unlimited texts
Unlimited calls

Free usage in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Ireland, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, and of course, the U.S..

£18/month ($28/month), no min. term

Admittedly, this plan no longer exists for this price, presumably someone on the commercial side of the business said something along the lines of, "WTF?", but there must be a load of us still on it from 2012 or whenever it started.

Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Well, why not both? The reality is that T-Mobile is building and upgrading cell towers at rapid pace. And it can offer "gimmicks" like this at the same time.

But due to T-Mobile's spectrum ownership, it is unlikely to match AT&T nor Verizon in the near term. At the very least, however, this move should pressure other carriers to ante up.

I'm not sure where the upgrade is ? I recently had to switch to AT&T from T-Mobile because the T-Mobile coverage was not improving :(.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If T-Mo's coverage would improve (2G doesn't count as data coverage in my book in 2015, Mr. Legere), I would consider switching from Verizon. In fact, my VZW contract ends today. Sadly, if I were to leave Verizon, the only real viable option I see is AT&T; and the only reasons I would consider jumping to AT&T are the one-month rollover data and the fact that my family would get a 24% discount on data with AT&T as opposed to the paltry 6% discount we get with Verizon. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: campyguy
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I'm not sure where the upgrade is ? I recently had to switch to AT&T from T-Mobile because the T-Mobile coverage was not improving :(.
I have switched from AT&T also and like I said, T-Mobile coverage is not nearly as good in most cases, especially indoors.

But that does not change the fact that T-Mobile has more than doubled their 4G LTE towers in 1 year, well on target to add a third more by end of the year.

I have been tempted to switch back to AT&T many times but I am at a point where I get good enough coverage most of the time and saving lots of money in the process.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.