T-Mobile people are nutty.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darngooddesign, Jun 16, 2009.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I loaded up my 8GB with JBen apps and themes and just sold it for $425. All this for a phone that can't do 3G. I'm not complaining, but why wouldn't you buy a used 2G iPhone to unlock on TMobile?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OK; I'm a little confused, what's your question???:confused::confused::confused:

3. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

The part that ends with the question mark.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Why buy a 2G when you can get a 3G and have it work just as well (without the 3G service of course)? The iPhone 3G has better reception and a better battery.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I wouldn't buy a used 2g iphone because I want a new 3gs iphone. Still not quite following, but does that answer your question?

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Perhaps you should rephrase it. Just because it has a question mark doesn't make it a question.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He's saying that he sold his iPhone 3G (Not 3GS) to a person on T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's network doesn't support the same frequency as AT&T's, so the 3G part won't work.

So he's asking why would anybody buy an iPhone 3G for use on T-Mobile instead of a EDGE iPhone.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I just sold my launch day 3G on eBay for $400. The market is pretty crazy. If I can't manage to get my hands on a 3G S on Friday I will be screwed though lol.

9. darkflounder macrumors regular

There's a lot more to the 3G than just the 3G network capability. GPS is worth it to me.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Because of the plastic housing, the 3G gets a better signal. Also, the ability to enable GPS is pretty useful.
    However, it's still a lot easier to unlock the original.

11. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

Because the 2G iphone is old now, it is more likely to come with more problems. It's easier to unlock, yes. But the 3G can do a couple more things. Also right now it's a little difficult to find a 2G I was looking for a long time for a 16GB 2G and I couldn't find one, but I found a lot of 3G's.

Plus, probably who ever you sold it to doesn't go on macrumors and doesn't know anything about that technical stuff. just thinks, newest is better.

I wanted a 2G though.

12. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Just sold my 4G original iPhone on ebay for 220.00 not bad at all,I really loved that phone, I am now going to put my sons 16G on ebay to see what I might get.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As "eastercat" states ^^^ additionally, one of the mistakes you make in you initial post is that you contradict yourself (bold font). Maybe you meant to say "but WHY WOULD you buy a used 2G iPhone to unlock on TMobile?" Not only is it confusing, but it totally discounts your claim just before this sentence.:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

14. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

His post makes sense to me now. What he forgot to leave out was that his 8gb Jailbroken iphone was a 3g. I assumed it was a 2g and then that statement just makes no sense. If he said this it makes sense:

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks Steve; I'm leaving this thread alone, b/c my head hurts.....:p:p:p

16. Babiipiink macrumors member

i had to log in just to reply to this thread, lol. the OP is basically asking, who in their right mind, would buy his first gen iPhone, that has NO 3G, and pay $425 for it just to unlock it for T-Mobile.... When basically you can buy a 3G iPhone for about $100 these days... just thought i could help clarify :)

17. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Just when I thought I had it figured out, I get very confused again. I have to remove my subscription to this thread and just pretend it's not here now.

18. Babiipiink macrumors member

yes, you should. :p

19. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I find it funny that even though the question has been answered already, people are debating what he asked. :p

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, that is wrong. He's asking it the other way around....

Why would you get a 3G iPhone for more price (Unlocked/on eBay) when you can't even use the most important feature of the upgrade (EDGE-3G).
    He's saying, why not pay less price and get a phone that is essentially the same thing (Just missing GPS, but you still have Maps), for a fraction of the cost?

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

22. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

Here is what I'm asking, you are correct in that I could have phrased it better.

I sold my unlocked 8GB 3G for $425 to someone who plans on using it on TMobile.

Since the 3G is incompatible with USA TMobile, why would you pay $425 for an unlocked 8GB 3G when you can pay $200 for an unlocked 8GB 2G? I know the 3G has some benefits over the 2G, but in this case are they really worth $225?

As I said I'm not complaining since I made $75 off the phone, but in that scenario I would choose a 2G.