Carrier T-Mobile (postpaid) eSIM

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by nutmac, Dec 10, 2018.

1. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Been running eSIM for a few weeks now, and have noticed recently that calls seem to fail. Symptoms are "Call Failed" when attempting to dial out, and I assume no one is able to call my line since I get notified of VM's after I toggle Airplane Mode or reboot. I just performed a Network Reset as well just in case, but this is concerning as I have no way of telling when the T-Mobile line on eSIM will stop working for calls.

My current setup is TMobile on eSIM for calls/texts only for my personal line. Work Verizon nano SIM for data/calls/text.

2. blueeyes2die4 macrumors newbie

I have the same setup and was having the same issue at times. I turned of WiFi calling on both T-Mobile and Verizon and I have not had the issue since. Maybe you could try and see if it solved the problem for you as well.

3. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Thanks for this, seems to have solved the issue for the time being. However it looks like the other problem is that while outgoing calls now work without failing, it seems like incoming call (at least the first call to come in after the phone has sat idle) just rings twice before disconnecting. So the caller basically gets no dial tone and I get a missed call notification after the phone rings twice. However test calls after this works just fine. I'm wondering if there's some sort of idle/wake-up issue of the iPhone with the eSIM.

4. cruppga macrumors member

I have a potentially crazy question. once esim is activated how do you know if esim is primary or secondary?

5. hhzhao macrumors member

By default iPhone naming, the physical SIM is called "Primary" and eSIM is called "Secondary". Not to be confused the functionality there is no logical Primary and/or Secondary. You configure the one that you want to be using DATA and other is for voice only. You can also setup the DEFAULT line of outgoing call on either one of them. So to be lesser confusion on the term of Primary and Secondary, it is the best practice to name each line with a meaningful name. For example, I have my AT&T on eSIM, which I name it "AT&T", and a oversea carrier on physical SIM which I name it as "XYZ". When I am in the States, I set my AT&T as DEFAULT line for voice and DATA, when I am oversea, I set "XYZ" as my DEFAULT line for voice and DATA.

Hope that answers your question.

6. cruppga macrumors member