T-mobile prepaid on iPhone 3g..does this still work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by loliTzPonies, Jul 29, 2011.

1. loliTzPonies macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G. I attempted to use a sim from an old att gophone. It didnt work. I then called att and tried to use a new att sim card with a different IMEI and transfer my old number, this locked the sim to the IMEI I gave them and deactivated the old sim. I am now without a working phone.

I need to know if T-mobile will support an unlocked iphone on their pre paid plans. Will I have to give them the IMEI from the iPhone? If I use a different IMEI will it lock the sim to the phone like with att?

Thankyou.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will work.
    I dont think Tmobile locks the sims to a particular phone like AT&T does but you can also buy a prepaid AT&T sim and not give them an IMEI at all.
    Tell them you left the phone at home and they will just sell you a sim that's not locked to any device.

3. loliTzPonies thread starter macrumors newbie

So could i order a T-Mobile sim from ebay and have it not be locked to any specific phone? No IMEI required?

4. loliTzPonies thread starter macrumors newbie

Does T-Mobile even care if you use an iphone on their pre paid plan?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they dont.
    You can just walk into a Tmobile store and get a prepaid sim.
    Even AT&T doesnt care, you can just tell them to give you a prepaid sim for an iphone you have.

6. loliTzPonies thread starter macrumors newbie

But I have read many places, such as in the link below, that att will not support an iphone. And when I put my old att gophone sim into the iphone i got no service, but it knew the sim was in there.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Can-I-use-an-iPhone-with-a-prepaid-plan/td-p/1883018

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I take it you don't have a T-Mobile store where you live? If you do, why on Earth would you go to ebay to get this SIM? You can purchase a SIM right there in the store and be up and running in minutes with no shipping charges or waiting for the mail to arrive.