T-mobile: Question About Call Forwarding While Traveling Overseas...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solo118, Jan 18, 2017.

1. solo118 macrumors 65816

Hey All,

I am traveling overseas next week, and will definitely be using a foreign sim card as T-mobile roaming data speeds are pretty pathetic (can't complain though, as it is free) and I will not have Wifi access.

I do use Google Hangouts as my "travel phone number" which gives me a local number for free VOIP calls. Now I would like to still receive phone calls from my main T-mobile line, so a friend suggested to use Call Forwarding.

There is an option within the phone settings, which asks for a number to forward calls to. I have the following questions

1) I called T-mobile about this, and they said they have to do something on their end to enable call forwarding. Is this true, or should I just enter my google hangouts number within the settings and we will be good to go?
    2) International calls cost $0.20/min, so to confirm if my sim is out of my phone will I get charged at all for these calls that are forwarded to me?
    3) It is pretty safe to assume they will not push voice messages to my phone, but will voicemail be possible at all? Previously with at&t if I was overseas my voice mails would not work, if you called my number it would say "the customer is out of range" or something along those lines. I am totally fine with checking in daily the old fashioned way if it does work :)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

2. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

When I traveled with T-Mobile, I had LTE speeds in Germany. Not sure where you are going. If I was to get a voice mail, it would have cost .20 a minute so I had them disable voice mail. I used wifi for calling and had no issues.

3. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

My friend is at the location as we speak, he has T-mobile and saying he is getting really bad speed like 0.13 mbps.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unlimited free 2G international data probably.
    You can always get a local sim with data if the free option is not good enough.

5. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes exactly what I plan to do. I just don't get how some countries get high speed internet and others get low speed.

6. mk313 macrumors 6502a

You might want to ask this question over at Howard Forums. There are probably more people on that board familiar with this specific question.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True. I think Mexico and Canada does.
    But there was a time that T-Mobile had high speed internet for the whole Summer in most of Europe.

8. nkawal macrumors regular

Just came back from a 2wk vacation in Wales and Portugal. Had no issues with the free data services.