Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr hollywood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
So, I decided to get out of my Verizon contract - I don't get service in my home nor at my office, and I know I can probably sell my 5S for more than T-Mobile was offering. I went and purchased an iPhone 6 at the T-Mobile store after trading in an iPhone 4. I told the sales person that I wanted the ETF promotion but I also asked for a new number, he told me, "No problem." So I actually called to cancel my account instead of porting my number.

I haven't received the final Verizon bill yet, but I asked a chat rep if I can simply snap a picture of it when it arrives, or do I have to scan it? They told me that they were going to check my number first for eligibility, then told me my number was ineligible for this program. I also went back to the T-Mobile store, but that sales person wasn't working. I spoke with a manager and he said there is nothing they can do about the ETF because of the number associated with my account is not eligible and the system wouldn't allow it

He suggested that I return my iPhone 6, reactivate my Verizon account, port my number, purchase a new iPhone 6, then request a new number... WTF?!

What would you do, how can I escalate this up the ladder?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So, I decided to get out of my Verizon contract - I don't get service in my home nor at my office, and I know I can probably sell my 5S for more than T-Mobile was offering. I went and purchased an iPhone 6 at the T-Mobile store after trading in an iPhone 4. I told the sales person that I wanted the ETF promotion but I also asked for a new number, he told me, "No problem." So I actually called to cancel my account instead of porting my number.

I haven't received the final Verizon bill yet, but I asked a chat rep if I can simply snap a picture of it when it arrives, or do I have to scan it? They told me that they were going to check my number first for eligibility, then told me my number was ineligible for this program. I also went back to the T-Mobile store, but that sales person wasn't working. I spoke with a manager and he said there is nothing they can do about the ETF because of the number associated with my account is not eligible and the system wouldn't allow it

He suggested that I return my iPhone 6, reactivate my Verizon account, port my number, purchase a new iPhone 6, then request a new number... WTF?!

What would you do, how can I escalate this up the ladder?

There is nothing you can do. You screwed up by not following the terms of the promotion by canceling your Verizon line instead of porting it. They only pay the ETF of phone numbers ported in from other carriers. So by canceling it you've made it appear like you're just an ordinary new customer activating service.

So pretty much like they said unless you can get Verizon to reinstate the number and account so that you can port it, you're SOL on the ETF payment from T-Mobile. Escalating won't do anything. It's a problem on your end.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
All you can do is go back to verizon and port your number again. Never rely on the words of a an associate, always ask for the documentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.