iPad T Mobile Sent Me A Free iPad Air !

Discussion in 'iPad' started by solar240sx, Nov 27, 2013.

1. solar240sx macrumors newbie

I received my Air 32 gb a couple weeks ago, and I really love it a lot. I ordered it on 11/6 and it was put on back order right away. Then yesterday UPS shows up and delivered another 32gb Air. I immediately called T Mobile because I didn't want to be charged for another tablet. They gave me a "confused" run around because no one seemed to know what was going on. After about 20 minutes, I got a supervisor that said he would call me back shortly. I checked my CC for any additional charges and there were none.

So about an hour later T Mobile calls and apologized for the mistake, they weren't sure what happened but asked me to remove the SIM card and send it back. When I asked what I should do with the "extra tablet" they told me to just keep it for my troubles.

Wow! So I know what my brother is getting for Xmas this year !

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I'd watch my statement very closely if I were you. I don't know if a TMO rep has the power to just hand out free iPads for a minor inconvenience.

3. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yes there not apple, you should watch your statement b4 they charge you.

4. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Keep a $729 tablet for free for your "troubles"? I realize some users on this forum are a little naive but not to this extent.

If you are telling the whole story, if they said to send one iPad back then they are probably going to look out for it now and charge you if you don't.

5. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I think there's some law in the US that if a company sends you something in the mail unsolicited, you can keep it.

A company I'd never heard of before sent me a PlayBook awhile back, and after calling my credit card company to investigate, there were no changes and they told me to keep it.

It may not be their generosity, it may just be the law.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It might actually be that the TMO rep lacks the power to handle a situation where a duplicate item has been sent out. I ran into the same thing years back with a different carrier: duplicate phones shipped for one order. Not a single sales rep or supervisor knew what to do about it, and it was agreed among all of them that my sending back the duplicate would result in a refund to my credit card.

Granted, the phone they sent me wasn't worth $729, or even half that much....

7. 617aircav Suspended

I ordered the ipad mini 2 online and picked up same day at the apple store. Decided it was not worth $400 and returned it the next day. I had reciept and all but they could not find the transaction. Turns out there was no record of me buying the ipad. They then charged me, and did a refund.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would expect them to correct this in a few days.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

10. wxman2003 Suspended

They won't ask for it back. They will just sign you up for a 2 year data plan.

11. FrasierCrane macrumors newbie

No they didn't. You'll end up paying for it eventually.

12. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

Considering they've told you to keep it, wait to see if they charge you, if they don't then keep it. If a charge eventually appears return it.

Although the rep might not have the power to give it away, he is representing the company and if TMob gets defensive just point out you are only following the information given to you. After all, the phone calls are recorded :) take a record of the time and date you called for faster verification purposes if TMob ask.

13. a042349 macrumors member

I would just report the card you used to order it as lost. Agree to all the charges (legitimate) to that point, and the card company will just send you a new one. That way they can't sneak in a charge w/o you seeing it.

I just did something sort of similar. I ordered the "free" TMO nano SIM for my iPad mini to tak advantage of their free 200mb month deal. Even though the SIM and shipping were free, they required my CC to process the order. They even sent me a receipt of my "charges" as $0.00.

However I didn't want TMO to have an active card of mine on file and whack it for overages or some such nonsense. Plus I'm paranoid in general about companies having a live card in their system if I don't regularly do business with them such as my Apple and Amazon accounts.

Anyway, as soon as they said it shipped, I called, reported my card lost, acknowledged all the past few charges, and the cancelled the card and are sending me a new one.

Better safe (and yeah slightly paranoid) than sorry. Good luck!

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

You ought to try a credit card provider that gives you the ability to create single or limited use card numbers for online purchases. "Shopsafe" is one such product.

Personally, I just review every card statement every month. Do whatever lets you sleep at night. :)

15. a042349 macrumors member

If Shopsafe was a free service that does sound useful, but if not it'll eat into my precious points from my CC company. :) I will check it out though, thanks.

Also I should point out I've only done this a few times (cancelled card after using it) and only on places where recurring charges/billing/contracts are common. Especially on places where you buy a year of services or some other "way in the future" surprise renewal possibility.

Since I use my card(s) to purchase EVERYTHING (love those points) and am slightly lazy, examining every month's statement, with any more than a cursory glance, just isn't happening.

16. iCarabma macrumors 6502

My experiences with T-mobile lead me to believe that it's totally possible they have no idea what they are doing.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

It (or whatever a card calls the same thing) has always been free with any card I had that offered it. Enjoy.

18. a042349 macrumors member

LOL and this right here is one of the best reasons not to leave a live credit card number in the hands of a dumb corporation, whatever method you use to avoid it.

"Don't ascribe to malice that which can easily be due to incompetence"

~Some smart guy

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I can see them not accepting the return but demanding payment since it's now missing it's SIM card :D.

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Nice, you're a good brother!

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Every time you go out for dinner and give your credit card to the kid who takes it into the back of the store to swipe it through the machine do you report your card stolen as well (after he copies all the numbers and orders 3 iPads of course)? I'd worry less about T-Mobile than about handing a card to someone to make a payment (AND a copy).

Just happened to me. I called a "high end" SPA in Virginia to get a gift cert for my daughter and gave them all the info on my CC to send me the gift cert. 2 days later I had over $1400 charges (coincidently from Apple). CC company (and Apple) takes care of it immediately without question. I had no doubt it was the SPA either because that was only the 3rd time that card was used and the 1st time I had given out the numbers verbally. While Apple wouldn't tell me specifically the location the shipment was going to what they did tell me pretty much confirmed that it originated at the VA spa.

22. cedunn21 macrumors member

Same. BTW love the username :).

23. ArtPop macrumors newbie

second to the right, and straight on till morning
    Thanks. :)

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why in the world would they want the sim card returned?

dumbest thing I ever heard...especially when they will probably just toss it.