Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile is planning to shut down Sprint's LTE network on June 30, 2022, T-Mobile confirmed to Light Reading. The shuttering of Sprint's LTE network is part of an effort to merge the two networks following T-Mobile's purchase of Sprint.

tmobile-sprint-logos.jpg

T-Mobile is building a 5G network that uses Sprint spectrum and towers, and it is aiming to shift Sprint customers to the T-Mobile network instead of the Sprint network.

In addition to shutting down the Sprint LTE network, T-Mobile plans to deactivate Sprint's 3G CDMA network on January 1, 2022.
To ensure all customers can enjoy a more advanced 4G and 5G network, we will be retiring older network technologies to free up resources and spectrum that will help us strengthen our entire network, move all customers to more advanced technologies and bridge the Digital Divide. An additional part of this effort involves moving Sprint's LTE spectrum to the T-Mobile network.
At the current time, T-Mobile has transitioned approximately 33 percent of Sprint customers to the T-Mobile network. Before Sprint's LTE network is shuttered, customers will need to transition to T-Mobile by replacing their Sprint SIMs with a T-Mobile SIM and ensuring that Voice over LTE is enabled in the device settings for voice calls on applicable devices.

T-Mobile says that most Sprint LTE and 5G devices are compatible with T-Mobile's LTE and 5G networks.

Article Link: T-Mobile Shutting Down Sprint's LTE Network in June 2022

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Here, Sprint was as fast (100Mbps as far back as 2016) as the other three combined. T-Mobile was the worst.

A couple of months ago, when they reduced the network performance, I got the T-Mobile SIM and got the same exact performance.

I always had trouble understanding T-Mobile customers on voice calls, and having had Aerial (before Voicestream/T-Mobile USA) back in the day, I remember my calls always being distorted. I've had a couple of voice calls in the past two weeks and they've been acceptable.

It feels as though they didn't shut down Sprint's towers but adjusted the frequencies to those of T-Mobile and shut down the towers that T-Mobile was using. Things aren't bad at the moment. The extra bandwidth is probably supporting 5G service.

If you have a device that is on the sprint network, how could it be a good transition? Is t-mobile going to buy replacement cars for folks with automobiles that use the sprint network for connectivity? Shutting down any LTE network at this point is way too early.
Hoping T-Mobile focuses on transitioning the two networks together seemingly. I’m pretty much T-Mobile will be upgrading old and current sprint towers with their own network.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I still wouldn’t switch back to T-Mobile. I was with T-Mobile for 7 years before switching to Verizon a year ago and I haven’t regretted the decision not one bit. T-Mobile hasn’t been all bad as my daughter have service with them and she hasn’t complained. It’s good enough for her.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hoping T-Mobile focuses on transitioning the two networks together seemingly. I’m pretty much T-Mobile will be upgrading old and current sprint towers with their own network.
Sure, but, again, that doesn’t necessarily magically update your devices to work on that network.

Reactions: CarlJ

MrTSolar

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
wow, first person i've seen to praise sprint! can i have your autograph?
You don't live in Pittsburgh, then. T-Mobile is hands-down the worst. Barely had coverage anywhere I went, and didn't have coverage on the road. AT&T won't allow hotspotting on their MVNOs, and Verizon is $20 more expensive than everyone else. Sprint and T-Mobile both offered hotspotting (T-Mobile MVNOs went further and offered unlimited LTE data), but T-Mobile's weak signal meant that LTE was barely faster than 3g and nowhere near as stable. Sprint had the coverage, stability, and speed while allowing hotspotting, and their MiFi plans couldn't be beat. It was a sad day when the announced T-Mobile was taking over Sprint for us.

Now, we have T-Mobile's Home Internet as a replacement for the Sprint MiFi we had before, which despite running on the new 5G network, is very limited on upload speed and insanely unstable. I finally got so fed up with no signal and poor battery life on my iPhone that I switched to Ting, who themselves jumped ship back to Verizon and gained back all the features I lost when moving from Sprint to T-Mobile.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
In defense of Sprint...

I sold cell phones in '97 (first job) and "Sprint PCS" had just opened here in S. California (LA/OC). Ppl got first incoming minute free...no contract...no security deposit...the first cell phone for a lot of people who couldn't otherwise afford one or didn't have enough of an established credit history. TracPhone was the only prepaid option at a whopping $1.99/min but you had to maintain a minimum balance every month; otherwise, you'd forfeit everything.

Compared with AirTouch (now Verizon), PacBell (now AT&T), and LA Cellular (also now AT&T), you got absolutely none of that, and buying a cell phone was like buying a car in those days (e.g., triplicate forms, deep credit check, security deposits, etc.) so Sprint was an "easy sell" for most people, even if the coverage was abysmal.

Anecdotally, my first cell phone (Sony) was on Sprint with a employee plan ($17/mo, 750min, unlimited weekends) and I had so little coverage on Sprint PCS that I gave people my SmartBeep # (lol, remember those?) and call them back from my Sprint PCS phone when I was in a coverage area.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I have two work iPhones. Recently replaced sprint’s cdma sim with the new T-Mobile sim on one iPhone.
Since then I get no signal at work and at home. They tell me to make a call drive 1 mile down the street. Insane.
I’m dragging my feet with the other work iPhone until there is no cdma signal. Really poor network to transition to.
There’s going to be a lot of complaints when people find out the hard way like me. Great news for Verizon and ATT.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
In defense of Sprint...

I sold cell phones in '97 (first job) and "Sprint PCS" had just opened here in S. California (LA/OC). Ppl got first incoming minute free...no contract...no security deposit...the first cell phone for a lot of people who couldn't otherwise afford one or didn't have enough of an established credit history. TracPhone was the only prepaid option at a whopping $1.99/min but you had to maintain a minimum balance every month; otherwise, you'd forfeit everything.

Compared with AirTouch (now Verizon), PacBell (now AT&T), and LA Cellular (also now AT&T), you got absolutely none of that, and buying a cell phone was like buying a car in those days (e.g., triplicate forms, deep credit check, security deposits, etc.) so Sprint was an "easy sell" for most people, even if the coverage was abysmal.

Anecdotally, my first cell phone (Sony) was on Sprint with a employee plan ($17/mo, 750min, unlimited weekends) and I had so little coverage on Sprint PCS that I gave people my SmartBeep # (lol, remember those?) and call them back from my Sprint PCS phone when I was in a coverage area.
Prior to 98, we had to page someone who would then call us back and take the info needed. If the stars aligned we could get a phone active in 4 hours. Sprint changed that and I remember being blown away that one could get a device activated in under 30 minutes.

Project_studio99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
i been using sprint for 8-9 years and i have no complaints. I used it to watch video and the video quality is crystal clear and the phone signal is great in NYC. I now moved to north Jersey and i always get more than 100 mbps at home and at work. I dont want to switch to t-mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.