iPad T-Mobile sim in a AT&T iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhonemaster5S, Aug 5, 2013.

1. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

I was thinking that since I have an unlimited data plan on T-Mobile the SIM card on my iPhone would be able go in the iPad. Just not sure if this would work due to the different bands that they use. Hs anyone tries this?

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If it's the 4, look at the specs on the Apple site and see what bands it supports.

I have a Mini and use my T-Mobile sim in it and get LTE.

3. djfmf macrumors member

i tried to do that, use my tmobile prepaid sim in my ipad mini and the network saw it, lte... but no data, no nothing. decided to get a 3gb att broadband plan and of course it works. i dont think you can use a phone sim in an att iPad mini, it has to be a specific broadband plan sim. vice versa as well, tried to use my broadband sim in my galaxy nexus and no go, even though it recognized it and everything, hope this helps.

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You have to edit the APN settings for it to work.

5. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

if you get bars (signal) it has to work. Set the APN..

There's no such thing as specific data for "iPad/Tablets or Phones". It's the same data.

Edit: I'm not talking about plans, I'm talking about the data itself.

6. djfmf macrumors member

i did edit the apn settings, it was a no go. unless there were specific apn settings i was supposed to use, but i tried every apn setting i've used with tmobile and data just did not work with my prepaid sim.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I can't tell you what the correct settings are right now because I am at work with my iPad using my AT&T sim.

It does work though with the correct settings. I searched Google foe iPhone T-Mobile settings.

Attached Files:

8. djfmf macrumors member

well it didn't work for me, if you can send me a copy of those pan settings i would much appreciate it. but for the meantime, the LTE on ATT in San Diego is pretty amazing. It's like 24 Up & Down.:cool:

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You can also try the settings you tried before and then go into settings and reset network settings.

10. thehumorpolice macrumors newbie

I too am interested in this but I'm beginning to think that its not possible to put my phone sim into my ipad 3 and make it work. It connects to the tmobile network but I never get data. I have changed the APN to fast.t-mobile.com and epc.tmobile.com but neither of these APNs work. Hopefully someone can help!

11. Alerx7 macrumors newbie

I bought a sim from a t-mo store and activated the 30 dollars monthly no contract and had to hustle for it cause tmo didn't want to do it cause supposedly I have to purchase the sim kit ($30 month no contract) from Walmart, but anyways they gave me the plan on the sim.

Put it in the ipad mini (AT&T) and :D boom full bars and LTE even showed up on the top(in midtown NYC) I inputed the apn settings fast.t-mobile.com exited settings held the power and home button, ipad turned back on opened up safari typed in apple.com and it worked flawlessly ! Buuuuut 30 minutes or so later of browsing data stopped working and I was extremely pissed off after bragging about an mini on tmo to all my friends. Long story short..... Called tmobile and a rep from wherever the call centers are from these days told me she didn't have the settings for my apple device that I should call apple and tell them to help me with the device setting to make it work (huh?) I found that hilarious I hung up and I'll call back tomorrow during the daytime hours and see if I can get it back up and running. I had my share of trouble with tmobile in the past and got my way most of the time. I think there has to be a way for it to work on this plan since it'll work on a "mobile broadband" plan from tmobile which they don't offer unlimited......

Sorry for the long post just my 2 cents

12. karlegas macrumors newbie

The same problem here, the plan is $30 5GB from Walmart activated time ago, but know is not workign more, the safari show a T-Mobile login panel.

Could be a way to fooled to T-Mobile to the iPad appears like an iPhone?

Karl

13. Alerx7 macrumors newbie

When speaking to customer care for tmobile they don't even ask what device I'm using until I tell them I have an iPad which then they tell me the plan only works for iPhone there has to be a way for tmobile to have a work around I see it like this they should make it work they gain more customers if they do

14. karlegas macrumors newbie

Since somebody tells that T-Mobile is blocking the data service of Prepaid Phones like Walmart $30 plan on iPads and Mifis, I can confirm that my iPad can not get service but my Mifi ZTE MF-30 works without problems, so I will using to connect the iPad on the road.

Karl

15. Alerx7 macrumors newbie

Tell me more about this mifi zte and are you using a Walmart $30 unlimited data plan ?