T Mobile sim in AT&T iPad?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Thanks! As long as our 1st gen Mini iPad, iOS6 is still considered current.
I think you need the apn settings from unlockit and you most likely will only get edge. Only the current iPads get LTE.

Yours is old now so it might not have the T-Mobile frequencies to even work.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The Mini iPad has 4G LTE it is the same vintage as the iPhone 4s which gets 4G LTE as opposed to the iPhone 4.

Not sure about frequencies...
Of course the original mini does, that is currently a current iPad. I was thinking this was the original iPad

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Plans to use?

Saw these plans, any one here use TMO and if so can they confirm these phone plans work with an iPad.

1) $30/mo: 100 minutes talk & text | First 5 GB data at 4G speeds

2) $3 on days used: Unlimited Talk | Unlimited Text | Unlimited Web, up to 200 MB of 4G LTE Data

On would assume first obtain a TMO sim then activate with the iPad ??

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Mini iPad has 4G LTE it is the same vintage as the iPhone 4s which gets 4G LTE as opposed to the iPhone 4.

Not sure about frequencies...
I know the 1st gen iPad Mini gets LTE, but I don't think the iPhone 4S gets LTE... Although it does get 4G.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I know the 1st gen iPad Mini gets LTE, but I don't think the iPhone 4S gets LTE... Although it does get 4G.
says 4G LTE at the top (w/ LTE enabled in settings).

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
4s says 4G LTE at the top (w/ LTE enabled in settings).
Interesting.

I am with AT&T, when I had a 4S... I only had the ability to use 4G. Then when the iPhone 5 came out then Apple introduced LTE for the iPhones. But I guess it's different for T-Mobile.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I am with AT&T, when I had a 4S... I only had the ability to use 4G.
Right you are, I just checked, only th AT&Te iPad Mini say LTE (if turned on), the 4s does not seem to have that option with AT&T.

If this is in reference to frequencies then are you are saying that the iPad Mini w/ LTE should be fine with the TMO sim?

And that older iPads or iPhones w/o LTE would only get slower (i.e. 2/3G) speeds with T Mobile?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Right you are, I just checked, only th AT&Te iPad Mini say LTE (if turned on), the 4s does not seem to have that option with AT&T.

If this is in reference to frequencies then are you are saying that the iPad Mini w/ LTE should be fine with the TMO sim?

And that older iPads or iPhones w/o LTE would only get slower (i.e. 2/3G) speeds with T Mobile?
I too had the original Mini and used it on T-Mobile. It worked ok on LTE but the LTE coverage wasn't as good as my retina Mini. The original mini spent a lot of time on 4G and edge. my retina Mini rarely loses LTE when I am out in my area.

The original Mini doesn't have all the same frequencies built in that the new Mini has.