Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
is there something I'm missing here? I tried my coworkers T-Mobile sim on my Att iPhone and it says "activation required". Huh? I thought the full priced Apple Store phones are unlocked? Or do I have to restore first and I should get that message "congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked".

Jatheon

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
U.S
From Apple store it should be unlocked, actualy not should, it must be unlocked. Contact them and tell us what they said to you.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
And Wasteland we go!

Guess reading/searching is a thing of the past

Here’s the quick guide of unlocking the new iPhone, if you purchase it directly from Apple:

• Turn ON your new iPhone 6s or 6s Plus.
  • Plug it into your computer and launch iTunes.
  • Follow the carrier activation prompts with the SIM that came with the new iPhone installed.
  • You will see an unlocked message confirming that your device is unlocked.

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
is there something I'm missing here? I tried my coworkers T-Mobile sim on my Att iPhone and it says "activation required". Huh? I thought the full priced Apple Store phones are unlocked? Or do I have to restore first and I should get that message "congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked".

Did you try going ahead and following the on screen setup or the iTunes setup? Sometimes, when you get a new sim in the phone, you have to connect to iTunes, it like verifies it's an unlocked phone.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

@Appl3FTW Looks like you "really showed" Apple after your delayed Watch delivery.

Hang on, breaking news...

Tim Just heard about your issue...

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
So the phone is locked. Apple confirmed it was saying locked in their database. WTF. they said it doesn't matter if you paid full price for it because it could still be locked and they don't sell unlocked phones at this time. Apple said ATT phones are locked to ATT. BULLCRAP.

Last edited:

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
So the phone is locked. Apple confirmed it was saying locked in their database. WTF. they said it doesn't matter if you paid full price for it because it could still be locked and they don't sell unlocked phones at this time. Apple said ATT phones are locked to ATT. BULLCRAP.

try for a free iPad Pro now...might as well shoot for the stars, right?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I originally ordered the AT&T 6S+ at full retail from Apple.com. It came on launch day and it was definitely unlocked out of the box. I got the confirmation message on iTunes and it worked perfectly with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I originally ordered the AT&T 6S+ at full retail from Apple.com. It came on launch day and it was definitely unlocked out of the box. I got the confirmation message on iTunes and it worked perfectly with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card.

Bingo have to hook to itunes, clearly reading isn't a strong suit around here. It took me all but 10 seconds to Google the answer posted in post #9 here.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Depending on the phone, iPhones are locked to T-Mobile. They sell phones on plans now, as a result they lock them to their service.

If you go into an apple store you have to ask for an unlocked phone now (then use it with a t-mobile sim).

This has been the case for a while. I just got my 5s unlocked by calling t-mobile (going to ebay it), and my 6s that I bought on the Jump on Demand program is locked to t-mobile, until I pay it off, and have it unlocked.

I think they limit each line to two phone unlocks per year.

Well that means your phone isn't unlocked. Why didn't you just buy the T-Mobile version to make sure it was unlocked?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Depending on the phone, iPhones are locked to T-Mobile. They sell phones on plans now, as a result they lock them to their service.

If you go into an apple store you have to ask for an unlocked phone now (then take it to t-mobile).

This has been the case for a while. I just got my 5s unlocked by calling t-mobile (going to ebay it), and my 6s that I bought on the Jump on Demand program is locked to t-mobile, until I pay it off, and have it unlocked.

I think they limit each line to two phone unlocks per year.
Not from Apple. All of the T-Mobile iPhones sold at the Apple Store are unlocked even if you buy them with T-Mobile financing. I purchased my 6+ last year and 6S+ this year using T-Mobile EIP in the Apple Store and they were both unlocked out of the box.

T-Mobile iPhones bought from T-Mobile stores or their website are locked to T-Mobile.

Reactions: nostaws and Chatter

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Bingo have to hook to itunes, clearly reading isn't a strong suit around here. It took me all but 10 seconds to Google the answer posted in post #9 here.
that's great, read post #13.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
that's great, read post #13.

LOL so because Apple said it's true (which it's not) so you shouldn't even bother to try the method? So you want to start threads for help but ignore all suggestions to fix it. Makes perfect sense....:rolleyes:

Just called Apple and complain for an iPad Pro now bud or threaten to return it as all of your other Apple products. Another thread to the Wasteland it goes.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Well you should still be in your 14 day return window. Go exchange it for the unlocked one.
Apple said: Apple gave me an unlocked phone but ATT locked the phone as soon as I set it up.
ATT: Apple gave me a locked phone and they cannot lock the phone.

so WHO THE F is lying here.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Did you try going ahead and following the on screen setup or the iTunes setup? Sometimes, when you get a new sim in the phone, you have to connect to iTunes, it like verifies it's an unlocked phone.
I hooked it up in ITunes and did restore from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.