T-Mobile Sim working in iPad 3g

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by haddman, May 2, 2010.

1. haddman macrumors regular

Not sure if anyone else has tried this yet, I just got a sim card from my t-mobile blackberry working in my iPad 3g. I'm traveling to europe in a couple of weeks, and thought I would give it a try. I cut down the sim by tracing the shape of the smaller one over it with the edge of a thumb tack, then cut it with a pair of scissors, probably not the best job, but fits well enough, popped it in, plugged in the APN settings epc.tmobile.com, and bam I'm in business! Now of course only edge data here, but when I travel I'm hoping it will get 3G when available. Will test both to see when I'm over there. Hopefully it was save me from some out of pocket roaming costs. Oh, also the sim card still works in the blackberry...the sim card holder on the berry's hold the the card in a different way, so you can position it back over the connection pads and it works no problem. Sweet!

2. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Not sure why you're suprised. Apple said from the get-go that iPad will be SIM unlocked. But hey, there's nothing wrong with little validation :D

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

4. HXGuy macrumors 68000

It will only work over EDGE as T-Mobile's 3G band is not supported by the iPad.

What kind of speeds are you getting over EDGE?

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

6. rtking macrumors newbie

I'd be interested too as I connected to Tmobile's EDGE connection via MyWi loaded in my iPhone. Best I got was 79 Kbps down, 95 kbps up.

7. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

Things may have changed in the last couple of years, but when I inquired about using a US T-Mobile SIM in Germany or a German T-Mobile SIM in the US, I was told roaming charges would apply. I also was charged roaming last summer (at the Euro-tariff) when using my German T-Mobile in the UK (where T-Mobile does business)

So double check before you assume T-Mobile (here) = T-Mobile (there) -- it could cost you a bundle.

8. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

Edge on the 3G version defeats the purpose of buying the iPad

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

Does it apply for iPhone too? Because I know way too many people using iPhone with T-Mobile... on EDGE!!! :eek:

10. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

You know, there was a time when even iPhone on AT&T was EDGE only. Somehow, we all survived :D:D:D

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yes, the different 3G frequencies of AT&T and T-Mobile prevent 3G from working on T-Mobile.

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

I was asking the other guy whether he thinks people who purchased iPhone unlocked to use with T-Mobile are pointless too :eek:

13. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I'm aware of the EDGE only here in the US, but I'm hoping it will roam on the 3G networks in Italy....the Ipad should able to in most places there where it's available. I also know that there will still be roaming charges, the difference is I don't have to pay for this T-mobile account, it's a business account which already has an international roaming plan. I will just use some of that data on my iPad. I work in the IT department, so wasn't too worried about screwing up the SIM as I can easily get a replacement.