Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ABC News reports on a T-Mobile press conference on Friday which discussed their future plans.

T-Mobile has spent $4.2 billion for new wireless spectrum licenses covering the U.S. The new spectrum will require new phones that T-Mobile has been working on with Motorola, Nokia, and Siemens for a mid-2007 launch.

For some reason, T-Mobile's Chief Executive Robert Dotson reportedly discussed "at some length about how Apple's and T-Mobile's visions seem to be aligned."

While Dotson declined to comment about any partnership between the companies, he spoke highly of Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
hmm interesting. seems a bit funny how he speaks highly of Apple, compares both their visions, yet declines anything going on. Although, I guess its a way to win people over. Complement someone else in the hope they like you for it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Sounds like the iPhone might actually be real! :eek: :D

...But the motive behind those kind words is still uncertain. Does Robert Dotson know about the iPhone, trying to convince Apple to make it a T-mobile exclusive, or have they already signed the contract, and these kind words towards Apple were more of a "thanks?"

Tha_Sylent1

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2003
Interesting indeed, I would love for the two companies to be in bed together... Interesting things for consumers might result. I see T-Mobile as a fresh alternative to Cingular... Plus, T-Mobile could use better designed phones, who better to hook them up with some Innovative ideas?;)

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
It makes sense. A lot of rumors have hinted that the iPhone will debut with Cingular, but a lot of the good phones end up showing up with T-mobile a short time after launching on Cingular.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
A t-mobile exclusive iPhone makes me feel like a dark cloud has covered my heart and is raining on it.

Ok, so maybe it is not that serious, but really, please, iPhone, don't be carrier exclusive!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If Apple wanted to make their phone available worldwide, signing with T-mobile would be the better choice. Compared to Cingular, Deutsche Telekom (the parent company to T-mobile USA) has a much larger market worldwide, covering Germany, the United States, Great Britain, Austria, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Poland, Belarus, Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovena, and Slovakia.

...Although Apple could sign a contract with just T-mobile USA; anything is possible.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Mac-Addict said:
Ahhh really?! Oh wait.. Its not a tuesday.. whats with apple and the only put new things out on tuesday or maybe they only put ipods and computers out on tuesdays.. IPHONE!!!!
ummm.... i'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows that apple always puts out iphones on sunday nights :D

mautal

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
California
as long as its not verizon

EricNau said:
If Apple wanted to make their phone available worldwide, signing with T-mobile would be the better choice. Compared to Cingular, Deutsche Telekom (the parent company to T-mobile USA) has a much larger market worldwide, covering Germany, the United States, Great Britain, Austria, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Poland, Belarus, Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovena, and Slovakia.

...Although Apple could sign a contract with just T-mobile USA; anything is possible.

i dont think it matters whether it's t-mobile or cingular... so long as its NOT VERIZON (or sprint/nextel!)... with the sim card phones some one will make it work... and sim phones are generally more popular than cdma phones (is that what they are still called these days? :confused: )... when i was in china, you could go buy a sim card off the street like a calling card and stick it into my phone

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
appleintelrock said:
ummm.... i'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows that apple always puts out iphones on sunday nights :D
Oh sorry how silly of me :p But YAY IPHONEEE!!!!!! :D I am going to be so let down if its a new colour of sock..

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's most likely just maintenance. If they need to take the store down for maintenance, it usually happens on Sunday nights.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I would really like to see a cooperation between T-Mobile and Apple, since T-Mobile is one of the biggest net providers in Germany.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I saw news about their 3G network but no mention of Apple. I'm surprised that they're talking it up. If I would speculate about the two, I would say that Apple has added T-Mobile-compatible 3G hardware to their laptop computers the way others have added Sprint-compatible 3G hardware to theirs.

WiMax is coming, right?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Speaking as a T-Mobile customer, I would LOVE to have Apple working with them on the iPhone. :D

It would make sense in a way. T-Mobile doesn't cripple their phones, unlike most of the other carriers here in the US (That's largely why I left Verizon for T-Mobile a year or so ago). An uncrippled phone would mean an iPhone that actually works the way Apple envisions.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Awesome. This seems to make sense. Apple should be with T-mobile, that is where their target is. I am on sprint but I think the primary users of this phone will be on t-mobile. Cingular is to low end and verizon is off in their own world. I don't mean to offend anyone but I think most would agree that t-mobile already has the best entertainment/computer like phones (ie - sidekick).

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hopefully the iPhone comes to T-Mobile in the UK. I just renewed my contract in August, but NEXT August ('07) I will be needing a new phone and I will be using T-Mobile, iPhone or no iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.