Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I am currently using an iPad Mini 2 as a "smart phone" with t-T-Mobile's $20/1GB per month prepaid data plan. I do this solely to save money, but now that Apple has come out with many compelling new features for their iPhones I'm tempted to switch back to an iPhone.

My concern however is this: I was planning on buying an unlocked iPhone from Apple and picking up a sim activation kit from Walmart to get on the $30/5GB per month prepaid plan, but I was reading up on it and people were saying that once you hit 5GB, the throttled speeds are unbearable.

Here's the thing though, I currently only have one gig a month of LTE data through T-Mobile on my iPad, but I use 15 gigs every month. So I'm throttled almost all the time. And I have to say, the speeds I get throttled don't feel slow at all. They feel faster than 3G at least, although I can tell it's not LTE speed.

So does anyone know if T-Mobile uses the exact same throttling for their phones as their tablets? Because I'm accustomed to being able to continue using data once throttled, and if it's really unbearable after the five gigs I'm not sure if I could make the switch.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I would think so and it throttles to 4G not 3G if I'm not mistaken . Call T-Mobile and ask them they don't bite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.