T-Mobile To Offer Android-Based Phone By Christmas

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

T-Mobile To Offer Android-Based Phone By Christmas

[​IMG]

T-Mobile will be the first carrier to offer an Android-based mobile phone, according to a report by the New York Times. The phone will be manufactured by HTC and will likely draw comparisons to Apple's iPhone.

Since it was announced last November, Google's Android mobile phone platform and SDK has seen its share of criticism as development has continued.

According to the article, a recent low-quality YouTube video posted of the phone and its software is likely accurate.

It's recently been rumored that T-Mobile is preparing to launch an app-store for all of its devices.

Article Link

3. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I don't see anything special in the phone. Maybe it's just me?

Plus, the keyboard looked kind of annoying to type on.

4. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Didn't Apple look into having a slide out keyboard for the iPhone too?

It looks like a cool phone, but will it have the feature set to beat an iPhone? Probably not.

5. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Competition is good. Maybe once this comes out Apple will work harder to get the software bugs out of the iphone.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

For a moment there, when the google rumors where new way back when, I thought they might have a shot at crippling the new iphone market share.

I no longer worry.

They may sell a lot.

Then again quality != quality.

I'm sure the kiddies with the sidekicks will want to upgrade to this sort of thing though.

8. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

9. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Yes they will. My girlfriend wants one. :p

10. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

...care to expand on that?

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

The guy in the video breathes really heavily.

12. Xavier macrumors 68030

13. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Was definitely thinking Darth Vader

14. mrrydogg macrumors regular

mrrydogg

Perfect combination....

Awful, grainy video and someone with a breathing disorder. Did it really need to have sound?

I don't mind the slide out keyboard. Would be a cool option on the iPhone (especially if it included some basic game controller keys). I probably wouldn't use it that much, but it would be nice to have.

15. dlastmango macrumors 6502

Its DARTH VADER... and he wants you to join the DARK SIDE...

16. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I'm not a big fan of HTC manufacturing. My parents bought two HTC phones and when they would use the GPS, the thing could bake a Pizza. I think it would take a great effort from the Android dev folks and HTC to come out with a strong competitor. Apple had me on content delivery alone, so if this App Store has great things to offer and they aren't like the current crop of WinMo apps now (for the most part are useless), then I'd be interested at best. I'm pretty happy with my iPhone.

17. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's going to fail.

Anyone who wanted an advanced touch screen phone has bought one by now, and i can say that once your an iPhone user, you are going to one for a while. Android will do okay, but it's going to flop compared to what some of the people say and how well it will do.

19. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I hated the slide out keyboard on the Cingular 8125. The phone's screen kept getting stuck in the portrait position instead of changing to landscape. Plus, the keys were so small that I would accidentally hit send SMS message instead of the letters I was trying to type.

Granted, the phone ran Windows, which explained all the problems. :p

But the 8125 was twice as thick as the iPhone. So.... I'd rather not have a keyboard.

20. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I'm in the same camp. I like to type fast and sometimes the iPhone's softkey has a hard time keeping up. A physical keyboard would be nice and game control keys would be a deal closer.

21. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

yea no kidding...Darth Vader has one...so I guess that means I need to get one...

22. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

Did you ever have battery/heat issues with yours?

23. striatic macrumors newbie

looks like a solid design. essentially a sidekick with the screen exposed, which isn't exactly radical but offers a lot over the current iPhone interface.

clearly there is a lot of demand to hack these devices, something that Apple has continually sought to curtail, if Android can allow for greater flexibility in terms of customization i think that would appeal to a lot of people.

and while the iPhone is a great piece of hardware, it only comes in one form factor, and that form factor isn't going to be right for everyone. some people just need a keypad, and if an Android phone has one they'll go with it.

i hope Android is very successful and puts Apple into a position where they have to open up the iPhone more.

24. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Just another cheap phone with a touch screen slapped on it and a cliche name...

25. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Yes! It heated up when I used the phone for longer than 20 minutes.

The headphone/microphone jack stopped working, as well.