Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't care how they market their products, as long as it is a true representation of what you actual will encounter.
Speaking of true representations of what customers actually encounter, today's announce changes absolutely nothing for the customers who weren't hacking around how this plan has always worked.

Reactions: ssgbryan

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Terabytes a month is definitely excessive, don't get me wrong, but only 0.01% of users use that much according to John. Some people need more than the what, 5GB/mo T-Mobile offers, so they use these apps.
Then they should pay for more. It's steeling. "Sorry officer, I just needed more printer ink. So I took some without paying. But I needs more than I already got, so it's ok." You think that would go over well?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Indeed. Maybe my reactions aren't so strong anymore because after dealing with this for a couple decades I'm cynical and already expect extra charges, and so I do read the details. And in this case, I have to say T-Mobile hasn't surprised me with extra charges like everyone else did...
T-Mobile is no better than the rest in this area. They say "UNLIMITED DATA $80". Then they tell you in small print that it doesn't include the cost of the phone, which most people are used to getting. And in even smaller print they say that unlimited data isn't really unlimited, only in certain situations and circumstances is it actually unlimited.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Then they should pay for more. It's steeling. "Sorry officer, I just needed more printer ink. So I took some without paying. But I needs more than I already got, so it's ok." You think that would go over well?
That's not the same, because T-Mobile doesn't allow you to pay for more tethering as far as I know. So if someone needs more than 7GB, they have to use these tethering apps.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Oh, so they are really like the old AOL. Back in the 1990s, they would give you 1050 free hours... during the first month of service. Only problem, 1050 hours is more than the actual number of hours in a month. So TMobile is really saying come here for the unlimited data, which they really push, but in the smaller print, only 7GB of that can be used for tethering. When they very well know most people who see that unlimited want it for tethering as a big selling point.

It's all data. Just stop playing games.
If you're going to criticize T-Mo, at least stop misrepresenting what they present to customers. The website clearly says the unlimited data is for smartphone only. The 7GB tethered data is clearly spelled out in same font size as all the rest of the information. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html It's pretty darn clear.

Whether or not you agree with "data is data is data" is one thing. Creating a narrative where they're hiding the tethered data info in small print or TOS (geoff5093) is disingenuous. Your argument should be strong enough to stand on it's own without embellishment.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
THEN DON'T ****ING CALL IT UNLIMITED AND THEN THEY WON'T USE UNLIMITED AMOUNTS OF DATA! ****ERS!!
It is unlimited on the device directly connected to the T-Mobile network (the phone). When people turn their phones into hotspots so they don't have to buy a landline ISP service, it violates the TOS. If you can't understand the difference there is nothing anyone can help you with.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you're going to criticize T-Mo, at least stop misrepresenting what they present to customers. The website clearly says the unlimited data is for smartphone only. The 7GB tethered data is clearly spelled out in same font size as all the rest of the information. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html It's pretty darn clear.
Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 11.00.41 AM.png

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
2TB? Wow, that's a LOT. I guess they are streaming non-stop. I don't like how the term "unlimited" is used with many carriers, but using that much is excessive. I think the worst I've ever done is around 600GB, and that was because of massive online backups.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That opens up an even worse problem IMO. The * that states customers who use more than 21GB on their unlimited data plan are subject to throttling.
Yup. Clearly listed there in the same size text, with a link that explains it in more detail. Again, nothing new, and nothing hidden.

I don't know of any carriers network that can sustain the load of truly unlimited data on all devices, with no throttling. Say what you want, but if every customer had a plan that allowed that, and actually made use of that, it would bring every wireless network to its knees. Every single one. Data itself may be unlimited. The ability to pump that data through a cell tower is limited. IMO, this is why AT&T and Verizon stopped selling unlimited data plans YEARS ago. This is why I think it's stupid to be giving T-Mobile so much grief for trying to offer an unlimited data in a manner is less likely to kill its network as people start utilizing more and more data.

Unlimited high-speed data customers who use more than 21GB of data during a billing cycle will be de-prioritized for the remainder of the billing cycle in times and at locations where there are competing customer demands for network resources.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Yup. Clearly listed there in the same size text, with a link that explains it in more detail. Again, nothing new, and nothing hidden.
Yes it's not hidden, but that doesn't change the fact that "unlimited" data is far from really being unlimited. To most people, that means they can use however much data they want in whatever way they want.

Reactions: Mactendo

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Any plan which has the word UNLIMITED in it, I would urge everyone to use as much data as possible. Either UNLIMITED means what it has always meant, or they got cute with the word. Either way, make them remove the word or stand by it. Use as much data as you can!

Yes the rest of the 10 page contract is meaningless if it includes the word UNLIMITED. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

T mobile should give anyone that makes 1 payment on that plan limitless data FOR LIFE - otherwise it's not truly UNLIMITED. No wait - their offspring should get it after they die - otherwise it's not truly UNLIMITED. :p:p:p

Reactions: BJMRamage

Kampfer009

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
Should people who abuse their tethering allotment be punished? Maybe. If all of the usage is from actual smartphone use? Absolutely not.

Isn't their limit unenforced? I used 650GB a few months with Comcast earlier this year.

Kampfer009

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
It's not the matter of "maybe" they should punish this people. You just need one person to **** up one good thing and everybody else gets punish. I think T-Mobile should cancel their contract since it's too disruptive to the rest of the people who have a sense of honor.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
What exactly is the reason for limits anyway? I'm genuinely curious if someone could explain. In my mind, it doesn't seem like "data" is a limited commodity like water or gas or something, is it? Always wondered why there's a monthly cap on internet usage (not just mobile data).

Since we "cut the cable" and went all Netflix (and other streaming services) we regularly hit our limit of 500GB a month on our internet and they'd charge outlandish fees like 5 dollars per GB over. Now that our company has bumped it up to 1TB a month for all it's customers, we've been good. But for a house of more than two people like ours who stream all entertainment like we do rather than supporting double dipping (charing 100+ per month and bombarding you with commercials every 10 minutes) I can easily see 2TB being a problem.

I've just always thought it was internet companies who often work in line with cable TV companies just wanting to keep you from being able to use streaming as a viable alternative to massively overcharging you and still getting money from advertisements. But I guess that doesn't make sense in the case of mobile carriers.

Data isn't a limited commodity, but the "pipes" to transmit that data are. Think of it like cars on a road. It all works great until you reach the capacity of the road and then all the cars slow down. The cost to providers (and you adding in profit) is based on how much capacity the average people are using. If someone is using 1,000 times more capacity than normal people, that raises the average. The choices to deal with this are A) stop the people at a cap B) charge people going over the cap a lot C) raise the price for everyone a little.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Based on your logic, I can go to an 'all you can eat' buffet, and go back the second day cause I wasn't done eating. Before you argue that they're different situations, you read the word 'unlimited' and just ignored everything else. I read all you can eat and ignored everything else.

OK, I LOVED this analogy. but after reading all the posts I think a revised version is what might be truer to the people complaining about "UNLIMITED"

Based on your logic, I can go to an 'all you can eat' buffet and bring my kids or other people who like to eat. I get a plate for myself, then get another plate and let my kids eat off my plate and argue that they can eat because "I paid for all-you-can eat and they are eating off MY plate. The majority of people with kids let them eat off their plate." Before you argue that they're different situations, you read the word 'unlimited' and just ignored everything else. I read all you can eat and ignored everything else.

Now, the data is Unlimited to the specific device you signed the contract with, not any device you could send data to. and SERIOUSLY folks. you cannot be too angry when you SIGN A CONTRACT BUT FAIL TO READ IT. I understand 95% of folks won't/do not read the TOS or small print contracts. but they are written by lawyers who want to ensure clarity on things. If you don't agree with the contract, do not sign it...or see if they can make an amendment for you.

***We have an HOA and people get upset saying the HOA can't tell you what you can or can't do, BUT they can and you signed a paper saying you agree to it. sorry, it sucks but that's something as a consumer you need to make sure you know the contractual obligations and rules, etc. BEFORE signing the contract.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
People think that just because it's a buffet means they should eat the whole buffet and leave nothing for anyone else. People are taking advantage of the system then getting mad when they are called on it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Actually, it's only enforced in certain trial markets (and will eventually roll out nationwide.) Unfortunately, I'm in the Memphis market and they charge us per 10GB after going over more than twice.

They're just accelerating their own extinction. I've already done all the math - I'm just waiting for it to be cheaper to get 30 GB per month with a cellular provider than I pay Comcast. If prices keep changing at the rate they have been, within ~4 years, I'll pull the trigger and jump from Comcast Broadband to AT&T LTE for my home internet.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
They either aren't enforcing this or it's regional but our house has gone over that numerous time with zero notifications or throttling.

Comcast is so crooked that they would rather keep you as a customer than enforce this policy. When I tried to cancel my cable tv they gave me a deal that made it cheaper to keep tv and Internet vs Internet alone.
Trying to cancel services at Comcast is a nightmare. One month I may have to download 10 TB just so that they can dump me on purpose.
But I'm afraid that these jokers will start to tier data like phone carriers.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sad that a few who think they are entitled to do whatever they like cause the majority to pay one way or another. Someone is going to pay for abuse in either tighter controls and or price increases. Then the few will loudly cry foul. A good many of the things we loudly complain about are truly self inflicted by abuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.