T-Mobile Trade-In Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moomoopanda, Nov 20, 2014.

1. moomoopanda macrumors member

Hello,

So I have a rather peculiar situation.

A few days ago, I purchased an iPhone 6 (16gb, Space Grey) from the Apple Store. The interesting thing, is I was able to purchase it on the T-Mobile installment plan (EIP). I had talked to T-Mobile before this purchase and they said I'd be able to port my AT&T line over and trade in a device after the fact, but every time I go into a T-Mobile (I've tried 3 stores so far), they say that's not possible and I wouldn't be eligible for the ETF reimbursement, even though I fit all the requirements for the reimbursement according to the site.

I went into the store and also ported my number over, but that's also taking forever, but from what I hear that's pretty normal..

(I'd be trading in an iPhone 5S.)

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

The normal process for getting ETF reimbursed is (1) open the account and port the number, (2) order the device through T-Mobile (NOT Apple), (3) when AT&T bill comes in with line item for ETF, submit the bill to T-Mobile along with order # from step 2, and (4) trade in the old device.

Having said that, they can make exception, especially if you call their customer service. Because of the enormous order backlog, they made an exception to allow me to purchase the device from Apple and I didn't even have to trade in the old phone (which I promptly sold privately).

3. moomoopanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. I was really not wanting to have to play the waiting game to port my number and found a phone in stock at Apple. Will try to call Customer Care later today. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Rockies macrumors 6502

Next time you call T-Mobile politely tell them your frustration of dealing with numerous T-Mobile employees about your situation and nothing has gotten resolved, then ask that you would like to speak to the Manager. They are usually better prepared to handle situations like this. Just from my own prior experiences.