T-Mobile UK - iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scouser75, Jun 18, 2010.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I thought this may be of interest to a lot of you so thought I'd start a new thread so info doesn't get consumed in the other UK iPhone thread :)

I just got off the phone to T-Mobile on an unrelated call - basically I don't check my monthly bills (naughty) but I did the other day and realised that T-Mobile had not been deducting my discount for not upgrading my phone last year.

I spoke to the guy about getting a discount off my current Flext 25 & W+W. He said he can deduct £10 off which would cost me £20p/m.

But the odd thing was that if T-Mobile were to upgrade my phone with a free Samsung Tocco they'd be able to give me the same tariff for £17p/m - a discount of £13p/m!!! Strange or what???

Anyways, to get to the point, finally, I asked if I could then get a sim free iPhone 4 from Apple and use the sim in that rather than the Tocco and he said "yes".

So, if they do give me the discount, would I also be better of with the Flext 25 & W+W? Or should I go for this https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/sim-card/pay-monthly/ WITH a Booster of Unlimited Internet?

2. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I forgot to add, this was on a 12 month contract.

3. donbenjy macrumors 6502

4. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry mate. Should have been more clear :)

Basically, T-Mobile are saying if you buy a sim-free iPhone 4 you won't need a micro sim. Also, it seems T-Mobile are also allowing non specific iPhone tariffs to be used on an iPhone 4. Now, if you compare the tariffs from ALL the UK providers you'll find that T-Mobile are 1 of the best ;)

I was also hoping to get some opinions on my tariff choice. Should I stick to the flext 25 W+W OR move over to the sim free tariff on the link I attached.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Of course you need a micro sim, or some scissors. Anything else physically won't fit. Though they may well happily exchange regular sim for a micro sim to use in whatever device you want.

I'm not aware of there generally being any restrictions on what tarriff you use with what phone in UK either, after it's been set up. That'st he whole point of sim free phones, to use the phone YOU want to use.

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate.

I sure hope T-Mobile sort something out before I get the phone. I've now sold my iPhone 3G so need something ASAP.

Regarding tariffs - T-Mobile say I am entitled to £10 off my line rental each month if I don't get a new phone. Would this £10 off also apply if I were to go onto a Sim only deal? i.e If I were to go for the 30 day £20 pm Sim deal I'd then only pay £10? If so, :D

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Wouldn't have though so, unless they're being generous in a retentions sense, owing to missing out on discount for last year perhaps.

That being the whole point of sim only deals, that they don't include any phone subsidy in them to then discount if not in long term contract.

8. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

My question would be what restrictions are in place if someone was to get an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple and then use it on something like one of the old Flext Plans (the one I have is Flext 35 + Wn'W with F&F 1/2 line rental). Because If I'm going to be able to keep my Tariff as it is and just use an unlocked iPhone 4 on it with no restrictions then that would be by far my best choice!

9. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rookie, having looked at the Sim only deals I'm a little confused as to whether the Flext Plans are better than the Sim only deals. The Sim only deals are very very tempting :)

Have a look at this link: http://www.mobiles.co.uk/white_labels/shared/flash/t-mobile_flext_valuetool.swf

10. dubnde macrumors regular

best to make a phone call to their customer support and strike a deal. I did it last week and managed to get 900mins/900text/unlimited landline/unlimited internet for £10/month sim only deals on 1 month rolling contract. I am now just waiting for the iPhone 4.

11. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek: How the heck did you manage that???

Tell me what you said and how you said it and I'll bell them tomorrow :D

12. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I get Flext 35 - £190 Credit the way I want it, with unlimited Data on W n' W and then get it half price because I have Friends and Family discount meaning I get my contract for around £20 per month after VAT. Because I have F&F T-Mobile wont offer me Sim only deals as the discount can't be stacked with my existing discount which is 50% But I agree that they do look like a good option for anyone who is looking to upgrade and buy a handset unlocked elsewhere.

The good thing about my upgrade is that I can get either a HTC Desire/BlackBerry Bold 9700 in White and then sell them for around £300 and put that towards my unlocked iPhone 4..... my only concern is that the iPhone 4 wont work properly unless its on an iPhone Tariff..... or will everything just work fine and my only minor task is to cut down my existing sim card/order a micro-sim from T-Mobile??? If someone could clear this up for me I will sleep better tonight ;)

/Rookie

13. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That is indeed an impressive deal, if I could get something like that I might even consider going back off PAYG, lol. THough I hardly ever text/call anyone, anyway. I've only used £40 credit in last 18 months.

14. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It'll work fine. Just won't get visual voice mail ( if supported by network in first place ), and might have to change APN settings to work.

15. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I don't even know what "Visual Voice Mail" is lol!!

What do you mean by "change APN settings"??

Do you guys think that doing this over taking an iPhone Tariff would be my "best" option taking in to account that as long as I stay with T-Mobile and always pay my bills on time that I will keep my Friends and Family 50% discount for "Life".

Thanks,
    /Rookie

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Visual Voice Mail is iphones fancy voice mail system, though even on official tarrifs not all providers support it anyway, unknown if t-mobile will at this stage.

APN is the settings phone uses to connect to data part of network, is all.

as to the plan, work it out by judging in cost of phone + plan over lifetime with either tarriff, I guess, to see what works out cheapest. For me it's been not being on contract and getting PAYG/sim free phone for last several years.

17. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I don't use voice mail so I guess it wont be missed.

So how hard can these APN setting be to find? Do the network keep them under lock and key or will they just be general knowledge and I could just walk in to any T-Mobile High-Street store and have the settings applied??

Well, it will cost me £599 for an Unlocked 32Gb iPhone 4 from apple and my 18 month (£190 Credit and Unlimited Data) contract which comes in at around £360 for the year after my 50% discount, so thats a total cost of £959 before I sell what ever handset I choose when I upgrade (BB-Bold 9700 in White // HTC Desire both sell for around £300 on eBay right now). So that would be a total cost of £659 all in for my iPhone 4 and 18 months of service with T-Mobile.

/Rookie

18. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Im on the solo 30 £30 pm 1400 mins, ultd texts and ulted internet 30 day rolling contract.

Ive already reserved my 32gig iPhone 4 for Thr and once ive got it im just gonna scissor my t-mobile solo sim.

Ive been using iphones with T-Mobile since 2007 before the first model was even launched in the UK. Never had any problems just lack of visual voicemail which i have now sorted out with hullomail

19. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Well as the iphone will come to t-mobile (hopefully on the 24th) officially, there will probably be an APN specifically for iphones, but it might not be set up right now. The settings should be readily available from a store though, yep. And if not, google will definitely help you ;)

Its pretty simple to change on the phone too!

20. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

And even if visual voicemail is not supported by network, the voice mail button just defaults to dialing regular voice mail as defined by the sim instead. Though I do wish this could be disabled, as I don't use it either, and I've accidentally dialled it before today.

APN settings are general knowledge, might or might not be set correctly on just putting sim in, I've not got a t-mobile sim handy to check with my 3GS right now, but if not, just need to google them basically. ( think it was general.t-mobile.uk or something for the record, but could be wrong, I've not been on t-mobile for a couple of years now )

And sounds pretty good to me I guess, if getting another phone to sell on too included in that.

21. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

This is starting to be more and more appealing to me then, because the word is that if your with T-mobile, have F & F but upgrade to an iPhone package they will take away your F & F 50% discount.... If this all works then I will get the best of both worlds with a contract I am happy with, keep my F & F discount and best of all, get a kick ass new iPhone 4!!! All for a really good price over the 18 month term.

I guess I will just hold out for a few weeks now just to make sure that this can defiantly be done before I buy my Unlocked iPhone 4.

Thanks for all the help guys and sorry for kinda Hijacking this thread >.< - But this is good info for other T-Mobile users in a situation like myself.

/Rookie

22. donbenjy macrumors 6502

That's the APN for my android G1, so that should work :)

23. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Oh well if its that simple then I will just hold on until my Upgrade on the 4th of July, make sure that everything on the new iPhone will work on a "none" iPhone Tariff (FaceTime etc) then get what ever handset sells for the most from their selection and sell it on eBay to put towards my iPhone.

/Rookie

24. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Who told you this? Has it been confirmed?

I spoke to my sister in law who works for T-mobile and she says they've not been briefed about this. Seems like the only thing people know is that they will be carrying the iphone 4 and nothing else!

I don't want to lose my discount on my Flext 35 with web n walk plus (allows tethered internet)!

25. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I was told it about two weeks ago when I called to enquire about T-Mobile and the iPhone.