Carrier T-mobile Uncarrier 4.0 ETF question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlody, May 22, 2014.

1. mlody macrumors 6502a

Since it has been several months since the T-Mobile un-carrier 4.0 deal, I wonder what the experience is with this deal.

I am on Verizon with iPhone 5S. It is my understanding that I would have to trade in my phone and buy a new phone from T-Mobile in order to qualify for the ETF deal.
    Can I do the following to and still qualify for the ETF?
    - activate an old/crap smartphone that is perhaps worth $10-20, but works
    - go to T-Mobile store and turn in that old/crap smarthphone and buy outright the cheapest possible smartphone from them (like nokia 520).
    - swap the sim card from the (ie. Nokia 520) to my original iPhone 5S that I originally had on Verizon.

Basically, I want to avoid trading in a perfectly good phone (iPhone 5S) and buying from T-Mobile another iPhone 5S.
    I want to trade-in a crap phone and buy the cheapest/least expensive phone (and later sell it)

My question is, is this possible or perhaps T-Mobile has a specific list of what devices qualify for the trade-in and what device needs to be purchased from them for the ETF deal to work?

I appreciate any help with this.
    Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Would you the 5S from VZW give you GSM coverage or just LTE?

If T-Mo doesn't have the full LTE coverage in your area you need to consider how 3G will be handled. I'm not familiar with the unlocked VZW phone.

3. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

That is a loophole that was discovered by Cultofmac a little bit ago. It should work, but I would caution yourself. :)

4. keitarou macrumors 6502

No reason why that wouldn't work. I myself traded in BB last time instead of the actual phones from AT&T.

5. mlody thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for the responses. I was pretty sure this should work, but it is nice to know that some has already tried it.