Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
What does everyone think will be in the next uncarrier phase? Yesterday it was said they are by far not done. It's looking like two more phases coming.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I think:

1) Massive coverage expansions (beyond T-Mobile's current coverage area)
2) Throttling now goes to HSPA+ speeds, not EDGE speeds
3) 15+15 and 20+20 Wideband LTE in more locations

For phones/tablets:

1) A newer way to pay?
2) Free data for life? (1 GB?)

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Wow I am hoping. I think the 1gb will be one of them too. Maybe offer unlimited LTE? One plan now?

patt2k

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
I think:

For phones/tablets:

1) A newer way to pay?

even 512 kbps would be fine ... that would be enough to stream radio,watch some youtube etc.. that would be a reason to consider T-Mobile as of today , I am not because I have 6 lines and only me and one more line is OK with T-Mobile others dont wan't tmo ..

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Their coming upgrade of their EDGE areas to LTE will be enough to make me almost completely satisfied. They already have excellent urban service, free international roaming, and unlimited data. I can't really think of anything else they need to do.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I think we are in for a surprise. I think they will do something on heard of in the wireless industry that will make Verizon and AT&T shake.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Their coming upgrade of their EDGE areas to LTE will be enough to make me almost completely satisfied. They already have excellent urban service, free international roaming, and unlimited data. I can't really think of anything else they need to do.

Agreed. Just expand and we're good.

I think upgrading "overage" to HSPA+ would be a stupid idea because honestly who would bother with an LTE plan at that point? It's a phone, unless you're constantly trying to watch 1080p Netflix videos then HSPA+ would be more than adequate for anything you're doing and it would result in roughly zero people bothering to pay for unlimited LTE. You're essentially asking for free unlimited data.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I'm curious what a Sprint/TMo merger would actually do for the customers of each. It's not like Sprint's network is awesome and would help out.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
I'm curious what a Sprint/TMo merger would actually do for the customers of each. It's not like Sprint's network is awesome and would help out.

The scary thing for TMo users is that this wouldn't be a merger. It would be an acquisition of TMo by Sprint (SoftBank). Sprint's history with acquisitions is terrible. The only winner would be Legere who would probably get a massive golden parachute.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
The scary thing for TMo users is that this wouldn't be a merger. It would be an acquisition of TMo by Sprint (SoftBank). Sprint's history with acquisitions is terrible. The only winner would be Legere who would probably get a massive golden parachute.

Which would make it a really bizarre business decision. Sprint is collapsing, TMo is skyrocketing. Why would they hand the company over when it would actually be more beneficial to fold Sprint into them rather than the reverse? Legare himself might get a windfall from it but no one else would beyond the initial deal.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
Why would they hand the company over when it would actually be more beneficial to fold Sprint into them rather than the reverse?

The simple answer is money and Deutsche Telekom, owner of TMo, wanting to exit the US market. Deutsche Telekom has publically communicated wanting to unload TMo for several years.

Softbank, the owner of Sprint, is willing to write a large check to Deutsche Telekom. There is no chance that Deutsche Telekom will write a large check to Softbank to acquire Sprint.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At some point T-Mo has to scale back its marketing plan for attracting new customers. While its been wildly successful, its also been destroying their profits.

Its not sustainable for a carrier to pay off the ETF or other incentives. Its great for the consumer, don't get me wrong but at some point they'll need to stabilize. If they grow to fast they'll have customer service issues, network issues and continue to lose money.

The goal for the uncarrier plan was to make money, and by increasing their customer base, they can once the marketing plan winds down.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I think:

For phones/tablets:

1) A newer way to pay?

I hope this is true will be amazing especially when T-Mobile launches their band 12 LTE! [this is why I will be upgrading this year as the next iPhone will add support for it ] and expands their current LTE as well...

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Agreed. Just expand and we're good.

I think upgrading "overage" to HSPA+ would be a stupid idea because honestly who would bother with an LTE plan at that point? It's a phone, unless you're constantly trying to watch 1080p Netflix videos then HSPA+ would be more than adequate for anything you're doing and it would result in roughly zero people bothering to pay for unlimited LTE. You're essentially asking for free unlimited data.

Well, what I essentially meant is that T-Mobile should give us two Mbps speeds or something of that matter. 128 Kbps is really :(.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Well, what I essentially meant is that T-Mobile should give us two Mbps speeds or something of that matter. 128 Kbps is really :(.

Well yeah. That's the point. They want you to have an incentive to bump up your data plan. Suggesting they should bump the "free" chunk of data to HSPA+ is equivalent to saying they should just offer free 4G, which is dumb. The whole idea is that you shouldn't want to use the throttle speed.

I swear, some people. They offer great prices with zero overage charges and people are complaining that the throttle speeds are too slow. WOW.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Eh, while T-Mobile unbundled their subsidy from their plans making them appear cheaper - in reality they are still charging the same as before and thus never really lowered their prices (Well with the exception of adding the international roaming). Data is getting cheaper and cheaper - $50 is still too steep for only 1GB of data and minutes/texts people are using less and less of. VoLTE will make voice/text even less used as it's all considered data.

If they really want to make waves - they should forgo the industry benchmark and stop worrying about ARPU. I'd love to see something like $10/GB with a $10 per phone fee for unlimited voice/text (Or heck even something like $10 for 1000 voice minutes/text, $20~30 for unlimited).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was seriously considering switching to T-Mobile. Then my mother bought an iPhone 5S and got MetroPCS service, which operates on T-Mobile's network.

She gets almost no coverage inside stores, shopping malls, and buildings. Places where I get plenty good coverage on AT&T.

As much as I despise AT&T as a company, T-Mobile simply isn't an option until they obtain frequency bands that penetrate buildings better. I don't want my phone to become a brick every time I walk into the frickin' supermarket.

(My mother is sticking with MetroPCS because she mostly uses her phone at home on her WiFi. She doesn't even own a computer and thinks the iPhone is the coolest thing ever; it's her only way to access the net!)

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I was seriously considering switching to T-Mobile. Then my mother bought an iPhone 5S and got MetroPCS service, which operates on T-Mobile's network.

She gets almost no coverage inside stores, shopping malls, and buildings. Places where I get plenty good coverage on AT&T.

As much as I despise AT&T as a company, T-Mobile simply isn't an option until they obtain frequency bands that penetrate buildings better. I don't want my phone to become a brick every time I walk into the frickin' supermarket.

(My mother is sticking with MetroPCS because she mostly uses her phone at home on her WiFi. She doesn't even own a computer and thinks the iPhone is the coolest thing ever; it's her only way to access the net!)

Even when I was on verizon I still lost service when I went into buildings. I still loose service with tmobile in the same places but gained a few back that I lost with vzw.
Even if I do get a new phone with tmobile I'm still paying a lot less then I was with verizon. Yes verizon was great but they kept rising prices just because they were better. Tmobile works great for me. Ask anyone you know that has tmobile not metro pcs but real tmobile and ask them how it is or get a sim from tmobile and try it your self

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I'd love to give T-Mobile a try. First off they are GSM based which just makes sense, although my iPhone can now do pretty much everything on most frequencies so thats less of a point but the free international roaming is beyond epic! It might even be worth a contract if you were traveling allot around say Europe, I can't imagine finding pre-paid SIM's in every European country is fun. Also T-Mobile have great customer service, perhaps because they have something to prove, regardless I always liked that, people around here associate T-Mobile with people who are less well off financially (its arrogant but thats the type in my area) but from all accounts T-Mobile customers are pretty happy as of lately and it seams everytime I blink they get better and better.

I'm definitely looking for a chance to throw a T-Mobile SIM in my iPhone and test it out for a day or so...nothing would really be lost since I'd have my iMessage and FaceTime for calls if needed.

Even when I was on verizon I still lost service when I went into buildings. I still loose service with tmobile in the same places but gained a few back that I lost with vzw.
Even if I do get a new phone with tmobile I'm still paying a lot less then I was with verizon. Yes verizon was great but they kept rising prices just because they were better. Tmobile works great for me. Ask anyone you know that has tmobile not metro pcs but real tmobile and ask them how it is or get a sim from tmobile and try it your self

It depends on the spectrum in the area....T-Mobile has almost no low frequency spectrum like 700/800/850MHz, this penetrates into buildings much better while 1700/1900/2100MHz offers more capacity. In areas where Verizon only has 1900MHz I get similar performance as T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.