Carrier T-Mobile Unlimited Or Verizon Go Unlimited? Which is Better in NYC?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

We are currently on Verizon Go Unlimited. We are seriously consider transferring to TMo. We live and work in NYC. We rarely travel. TMo would be much cheaper, with potentially less slowdowns. How might it compare with Verizon Go Unlimited?

Thanks

Jay

tim.engen

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
Hi

We are currently on Verizon Go Unlimited. We are seriously consider transferring to TMo. We live and work in NYC. We rarely travel. TMo would be much cheaper, with potentially less slowdowns. How might it compare with Verizon Go Unlimited?

Thanks

Jay
If you do switch to T-Mobile and are using a iPhone you can keep your phones and use it with them.

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
Hi

Thanks

Jay
Highly recommended to try it first before you make the switch, I’m a T-Mobile Customer for the past 14 years and T-mobile network has slowed down considerably due to congestion here in Los Angeles area. Get a prepaid sim and try it.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
The issue is my office. I work around the corner from the WTC. To make matters worse, my office is in the middle of the floor, not near outside windows.

myapple2019

Suspended
May 10, 2019
The issue is my office. I work around the corner from the WTC. To make matters worse, my office is in the middle of the floor, not near outside windows.
TMobile has very famous with weak penetration signals inside buildings, including subway stations. I used TMobile before and experienced no coverage inside many buildings I was in. Their plan is cheaper than Verizon definitely but with caveat of coverage problems. We get what we pay for. I decided to change to Verizon and never have had any coverage issues everywhere I am at. Such a relief. My advice for you is to stay with Verizon.

teeshot44

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2015
US
ONLY way you will know for sure is to try it. Prepaid Sim or eSim. Too many variables unless someone has the exact same phone and sits and lives right beside you.

Plutowillreturn

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2018
My experience is several years old, but if price is an issue, stick with T-Mobile. If you are willing to pay for coverage and need it as it is your only phone (no landline), stick with Verizon.

Going back to 9/11, I was on T-Mobile or Nextel (can't remember which), but nothing was working. I heard folks on Verizon still had some semblance of service.

During the last blackout in 2003, Verizon was the only service that was semi-operational.

I have used every service in NYC and in every borough; from the tip of SI by the Goethals, north to the Bronx bordering on Westchester County, and east out to the island. My personal experience is that CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) have excellent building penetration (strong enough to penetrate cinderblocks in housing developments and elevators). ATT was lacking as well as T-Mobile, but T-Mobile has blazing speeds when it comes to internet.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
My experience is several years old, but if price is an issue, stick with T-Mobile. If you are willing to pay for coverage and need it as it is your only phone (no landline), stick with Verizon.

Going back to 9/11, I was on T-Mobile or Nextel (can't remember which), but nothing was working. I heard folks on Verizon still had some semblance of service.

During the last blackout in 2003, Verizon was the only service that was semi-operational.

I have used every service in NYC and in every borough; from the tip of SI by the Goethals, north to the Bronx bordering on Westchester County, and east out to the island. My personal experience is that CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) have excellent building penetration (strong enough to penetrate cinderblocks in housing developments and elevators). ATT was lacking as well as T-Mobile, but T-Mobile has blazing speeds when it comes to internet.
Point well taken. As far as building penetration. However test it out in your office, where you live and places you frequent
Sometimes the cheapest isn’t the best for everyone

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Point well taken. As far as building penetration. However test it out in your office, where you live and places you frequent
Sometimes the cheapest isn’t the best for everyone
I am currently on Verizon Go Unlimited. My slow speeds in the office is not due to network congestion, as this was the case before I switched to Go Unlimited.

I just spoke with Verizon tech support. They confirmed the signal is very weak at the tower and have opened up a ticket to address the tower. We shall see what happens. I wonder what can my options then be, if they cannot correct the issue as I have a $170 ETF, if I left. In my mind, they should waive the ETF IF they cannot fix the problem.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
If I were you, I would still get a T-Mobile SIM with the understanding that you're testing the signal.

You might be lucky enough to discover that T-Mobile in your area is on Band 12 or Band 71, which could mean better building penetration.

Maybe.

It's up to you, of course, but it's worth the research if it's that big a problem.

Before I switched to T-Mobile they allowed me to take a temporary number and SIM so that I could check out the signals where I normally live, work and travel. :)

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
If I were you, I would still get a T-Mobile SIM with the understanding that you're testing the signal.

You might be lucky enough to discover that T-Mobile in your area is on Band 12 or Band 71, which could mean better building penetration.

Maybe.

It's up to you, of course, but it's worth the research if it's that big a problem.

Before I switched to T-Mobile they allowed me to take a temporary number and SIM so that I could check out the signals where I normally live, work and travel. :)
When did you switch to T Mobile? They used to allow you to test. I am not sure they do anymore.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
When did you switch to T Mobile? They used to allow you to test. I am not sure they do anymore.
Don’t remember exactly when but it wasn’t all that long ago. Within five years.

Certainly wouldn’t hurt to try. :)

They also say they don’t do eSIM, and here I am.

Accommodating bunch of people for the most part.

I’ve never regretted the switch.

STEVEMS2305

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
NYC
Im in NYC and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about 4 years ago. I was "warned" about coverage issues. I have been more then satisfied with the coverage. I reside on the UWS, work in mid-Town and lower Eastside, have received calls in basements and have had ZERO coverage issues.

T-Mobile has made some significant improvements and really have improved. I also travel into CT/ NJ and along the east coast. No coverage problems where I have been.

I pay $50 all in for unlimited everything and service is fine.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Im in NYC and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about 4 years ago. I was "warned" about coverage issues. I have been more then satisfied with the coverage. I reside on the UWS, work in mid-Town and lower Eastside, have received calls in basements and have had ZERO coverage issues.

T-Mobile has made some significant improvements and really have improved. I also travel into CT/ NJ and along the east coast. No coverage problems where I have been.

I pay $50 all in for unlimited everything and service is fine.
My problem is not calls but data. In my office, on VZ my LTE Speeds are slow. I usually get 1 bar. Maybe two if I am fortunate. On Speedtest I get 1.5 to 5Mbps up and down. Most people have speed issues, except in one corner, for all carriers.

While TMo is better. It is not drastically so, and TMo may prove worse at home or other locations. Nothing is definitive.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi

Thanks

Jay
Do you really need unlimited ?

How much data do you use / month on average ?
[doublepost=1562032775][/doublepost]
In my office
Don't you have WiFi there ?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I prefer Satan's network because it's never let me down. And by Satan's network I mean Verizon. Works flawlessly when I'm in NYC, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, Bay Area, etc.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Do you really need unlimited ?

How much data do you use / month on average ?
[doublepost=1562032775][/doublepost]

Don't you have WiFi there ?
WiFi is not available for personal phones.

Someone asked if I need unlimited? Not for me.

My husband is a big data consumer. He does a lot of Facebook, photos. Apple Music. He has difficulty with understanding what counts as data and how to manage it. Domestic harmony is worth unlimited.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I would love to switch to Verizon, but I can’t justify $252 for 2 lines. I have T-Mobile and I can’t say that my decrease in service is the network or my iPhone XS Max.

Bagaholic

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
I just spoke with Verizon tech support. They confirmed the signal is very weak at the tower and have opened up a ticket to address the tower. We shall see what happens. I wonder what can my options then be, if they cannot correct the issue as I have a $170 ETF, if I left. In my mind, they should waive the ETF IF they cannot fix the problem.
If they charge for ETF check with T-Mobile. I remember that I was charged by AT&T when I switched 5 years ago and T-Mobile reimbursed me for the amount with a gift card.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
If they charge for ETF check with T-Mobile. I remember that I was charged by AT&T when I switched 5 years ago and T-Mobile reimbursed me for the amount with a gift card.
TMo now does not do gift cards. The credit your bill over 24 months. So if we joined TMo and it proved not satisfactory, we would still be out the ETF.