iPad T-Mobile unlimited phone sim in iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mellofello, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2011
    We are thinking about getting my gf her own lte iPad. We will be going abroad for 2 months this year. I am going to setup a account with tmobile for my note 3 and use their unlimited international data/texting. I notice that I can add a line for only $40 more that will have unlimited data. Am I correct in assuming that I can just pop that sim into the iPad and use it?

Do I need to change any apn settings or is it plug and play? This will also be a test drive of tmobiles service in America. I need flawless data and while I would love to leave AT&T I need to be sure first.
  2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Oct 25, 2013
    Try testimg if it works with your primary line first. I know T-Mobile locked the SIM card to my iPad so I can't use the SIM on any other tablet.
  3. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2011
  4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2012
    Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
    Good luck with TMO stateside. My experience it is hit or miss in cities and scarce in the country.
  5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I tried swapping my T-Mobile iPad (free 200mb plan) and T-Mobile iPhone ($30/mo 100 min unlimited text unlimited data plan). Neither had data afterwards, I did have success in using an iPad AT&T data SIM in my iPhone after switching APNs.

Switching APNs seemed to have no effect on the T-Mobile SIM swap, nothing I tried got them working until the SIM cards were returned to the correct devices.
  6. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2011
    oh ok good to know. I guess I will just do a unofficial hotspot with my phone.