Carrier T-Mobile unlocking phones under contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Sep 15, 2017.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

When I placed my JOD order this morning I asked them about unlocking phone while still under JOD contract, they told me they would do a 90 day temporary unlock if I have to visit abroad. Has anyone gone through this process? How easy was it?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I had my JOD iPhone 6s+ fully unlocked after 40 days with T-Mobile. Same with my wife's 6s. But we were new customers then.

All you do is insert the new SIM, you're asked for your Apple ID details and that's it.

A 'temporary' unlock sounds like they are only giving you an international unlock. I'm not too sure about 'temporary' as that doesn't really apply to iPhones. It's more an Android/Windows phone type of thing, but maybe they have some way of only making international temporary now - IDK.

If you don't have the SIM you are going to us abroad and you want to make sure you are unlocked, then restore your phone in iTunes (when they tell you the unlock has gone through).

3. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How did u request the unlock? By calling them? So basically u had to switch to another T-Mobile SIM card?

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I used T-Force through Facebook. I told them I was eligible (per the info saying I was inside my account), gave them the IMEI numbers of my phone and my wife's iPhone and they submitted the unlocks to Apple.

It was a full unlock. And no I did not switch to another T-Mob SIM card. I just verified I was unlocked by inserting a spare AT&T SIM I have.