Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?

Does she have 3G enabled in her settings?

Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Enable 3G

Routerninja

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
So it's basically MLM applied to a friends and family phone model. Great, something new for everyone to spam thinking they can get rich by doing nothing.

So you're going to have these "Agents" out there harassing everyone they know to sign up for this MVNO, its name will get tarnished by constant spamming, nobody will want to deal with them, and they will collapse or rebrand in, oh, 2-3 years.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
$49 for unlimited voice, text and data is CHEAP, and you want cheaper????
Yes, I want a cheaper plan, as I don't need unlimited data or unlimited voice mins or unlimited texts. A couple hundred minutes, a few tens of texts and 1 or 2GB of data is all I need.

To put that into context, I pay just over $50 per month right now after occasional texts, corporate discount, taxes and fees, but I only get 200MB of data. Considering their plan does not include a phone subsidy, they can offer a cheaper bare bones plan.

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
So it's basically MLM applied to a friends and family phone model. Great, something new for everyonespam thinking they can get rich by doing nothing.

So you're going to have these "Agents" out there harassing everyone they know to sign up for this MVNO, its name will get tarnished by constant spamming, nobody will want to deal with them, and they will collapse or rebrand in, oh, 2-3 years.

Or it gets its name out as a service that's only $49 a month for unlimited. MLM sucks in general but anyone can sign up directly through solavei without MLM so don't see what the big deal is

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
While its good to have more competition i still feel straight talk is better not to mention 5 dollars cheaper per month.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
"along with the unique opportunity to earn recurring monthly income by sharing with friends and family."
Huh?

"$49 per month unlimited voice, text and data plan"
I'd prefer a cheaper plan with limited voice, text and data.

By the way, is this considered a pre-paid plan, meaning $49 is all you pay including all taxes and fees?

What is the speed like on th t-mobile compared to the other carriers in US?

Mr.Mo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Anyone in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties who has been able to confirm 3G/4G service availability?

Also, does FaceTime over cellular work? How about Internet Tethering?

Thanks!

I'm in Chicago using a 4S. I can confirm that Tethering/Hotspot works but FaceTime over cellular doesn't.

I'm on a Value Plan with 500 minutes, unlimited text and 2GB data (unlimited Edge) for $50/month.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river

Will be switching back to Tmob after being raped by ATT for 2 years. I don't give two ***** about speed. It will only get better anyway. I can have both my wife and me on Tmob for less than just me on ATT.

Mr.Mo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Yes, I want a cheaper plan, as I don't need unlimited data or unlimited voice mins or unlimited texts. A couple hundred minutes, a few tens of texts and 1 or 2GB of data is all I need.

To put that into context, I pay just over $50 per month right now after occasional texts, corporate discount, taxes and fees, but I only get 200MB of data. Considering their plan does not include a phone subsidy, they can offer a cheaper bare bones plan.

T-Mobile Value Packages

You might want their Value Plan: 500 Talk + 200 MB Data for $40, or add unlimited text to that and it's $45 before taxes/discounts.

You still have to sign a new contract, whereas the no-contract plans are $10 more per month. In addition, contract plans are eligible for Corporate discounts while I believe no-contract plans are ineligible (I just switched last month so I researched this a lot).

AAPL addict

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?

You might want to contact T-Mobile tech support for this question. I find it interesting on all the T-Mobile press releases I've read as it relates to upgrading their data speeds to work with iPhone they consistently state up to 70% faster data speeds than AT&T when tested with the iPhone 4S. I have yet to see them mention any other iPhone models as it relates to this. It makes me want to think that the faster data speeds might not work for an iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS but only guessing by reading their press releases.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Check out T-Mobile's monthly 4G, $30 a month, 100min, unlimited text, 5B data.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
What is the speed like on th t-mobile compared to the other carriers in US?
It probably depends on the market, but around here a friend of mine says voice coverage is good, but 3G is very spotty if you use an AT&T specific phone. I am not sure about LTE. When I was using T-Mobile 3.5 years ago, even their voice coverage inside large indoor spaces such as malls or big box stores were quite poor. I usually had to walk towards an exit before I could make a phone call, while people around me were having no problem with their phones. I don't know how much it has improved since then.

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Anyone from atlanta using iPhone on tmobile? Any 3g coverage in metro area?
I heard it was bad but that was about 1 year ago.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
3G In Austin on T-Mobile

Here is a screenshot of my speeds in Austin on 3G with my iPhone 4S.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.PNG
    IMG_0753.PNG
    116.6 KB · Views: 82

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I wonder if T-Mobile decided to merge with AT&T knowing that there was little to no chance of the merger being approved by federal regulators -- leading to a multibillion break up fee -- free $4B added to their assets.

Isn't HSPA+ technically just as fast at 4G technology speeds, though?

Technically? No. Practically (meaning in actual practice)? Yes, generally.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The 100min/5GB was only an example of ONE of the plans.

If you want more minutes, pick one of the other plans.

True, but then the other reasonable plans are pricy, kinda beats the purpose of prepaid.

For example, the one with 100 MB is $50, Simple Mobile is definitely cheaper :)

BobGatchel

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I'm using the Solavei service on an iPhone 4S in the Baltimore / Philadelphia area & have seen the "speed bump" (in a good way) and it's working great for $49 PLUS TAX of course (you can't escape the tax man :)

Someone asked about throttling, if you check out the document here:

https://support.solavei.com/docs/DOC-1197

It shows that you get 4 GB of data before they can roll you back to 2G speeds. This is better than my AT&T plan where I had 3 GB for a $30 data package.

OH and yes, I don't have Visual Voicemail but I swore I saw somewhere online that there is an app coming for that OR that TMo's setting up for that ... but can't find it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.