Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
I am currently a T-Mobile customer and am interested in getting a iPhone. Since I am relatively a new to this I was wondering how I can do this. I am currently under contract with T-Mobile, so switching to AT&T is not an option.

1. How do I get the iPhone? I understand that you can buy one from the Apple store for $599 without a 2 year contract with AT&T, but don't they make you activate service with them before you leave the store? How do I get around this?

2. Is there a software unlock available for the current version or do I have to get one of those TurboSims for it to work?

3. Can I get 3G internet service through T-Mobile?

Thanks in advance!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

1. Your best bet is ebay, craigslist, etc.

2. There are guides here for software unlock.

3. No 3g, sorry.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
1. How do I get the iPhone? I understand that you can buy one from the Apple store for $599 without a 2 year contract with AT&T, but don't they make you activate service with them before you leave the store? How do I get around this?
Tell them that it's a gift and it will be activated later. But like jackie said, you can find it cheaper on ebay or craigslist. If a new iPhone launches this July, there should be a flood of used iPhone 3Gs being sold on ebay/craigslist, which may even drive the prices lower than they currently are.

3. Can I get 3G internet service through T-Mobile?
To expand on what jackie said, its because T-Mobile uses different frequencies for their 3G network than AT&T. The iPhone doesn't support those frequencies for 3G. You would be able to use EDGE though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.