T-Mobile USA Micro Sim?

Taheen99

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I may be wrong, somebody correct me if I am.

Even though both are GSM, the band used by the iPad for ATT data is not a band that T-Mobile's data network uses. So in short... no.

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah even though Apple claims the 3G is unlocked. T-mobile uses a different frequencies for 3G. U would probably be stuck with snail Edge.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
Yeah even though Apple claims the 3G is unlocked. T-mobile uses a different frequencies for 3G. U would probably be stuck with snail Edge.
It *is* unlocked, but it doesn't support T-Mobile's frequencies. It supports AT&T and European frequencies.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
There is this site www.microsimadapter.com that sells an adapter which will enable iPhone owners to use the same SIM card / data plan in both iPhone and iPad. It looks great, did anybody try it yet?
I don't think anybody could try it yet since there are no 3G's out there in the wild.

So, the idea would be to take an iPhone SIM, cut it down to micro-SIM size to use in the iPad, then be able to put the micro-SIM in the adapter so that you could use it back in the iPhone? Would that work? The iPad would just automatically sift out the data portion so that the AT&T network would think it was actually a valid iPhone? Hmmm...I'm not sure about that. AT&T tracks the IMEI number of the device and compares it to the plan- not sure they'd go for that.

If we're talking buying a T-Mobile data plan, cutting down the SIM to use in an iPad, it would be EDGE-only, and would be $50/month, and 2 year contract. You'd have to REALLY want to use T-Mobile (or have to)...

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I heard a rumor that 3G is only supported and it would not back down to Edge if 3G was unavailable...... Anyone hear that too?