T-Mobile vs. AT&T (What am I missing here)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delirium7, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Delirium7 macrumors newbie

Hey gang,

I'm sure this might have been answered in some form before, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something in my research.

I'm currently on the grandfathered unlimited plan from ATT and about to finish up my 2 year contract with an iPhone 5. I pay around $90 with the 450 minutes plus unlimited text. There are usually a lot of people who swear by this old plan and say they will never drop it because it's unlimited data for a fixed rate...so correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that this particular plan, while unlimited, still begins to throttle you at 5GB? To continue that, hypothetically if I lived in an area and situation where T-Mobile service was just as strong as AT&T's, does it make sense for me to consider moving over, seeing as it's less expensive? I typically average around 2GB of data a month.

On top of that, with T-Mobile's current promotion where you can do a referral from somebody already on the network and get upgraded to unlimited data for a year(even from the cheapest plan at $50), it seems like a no-brainer if the only wildcard is difference in quality between the networks.

Oh and a last random question: If I had a Verizon MiFi, would the Tmobile HD voice through WiFi work through it?

Thanks in advance

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Of course that should be your #1 deciding factor, but I'd probably still stick with AT&T still, since T-Mobiles coverage could be spotty if you ever travel throughout the US. There's a reason they're the #4 carrier in the US, behind Sprint too.

3. Delirium7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree network strength isn't a minor issue, but I live in a decent sized city that's supposed to have pretty good T Mobile coverage and I rarely travel. I figure that it would be less of a factor for me than some. Plus, if I can confirm whether it's possible to piggyback voice and data off a Verizon MiFi, that would probably cover me for the times I am not in a great T Mobile area.

4. Drewbster macrumors member

You are correct, typically AT&Terrible would throttle me around 5 GB of unlimited data usage. I was on the grandfathered unlimited data plan from the iPhone 3G along with my father. My dad complained about how terribly slow AT&T's speeds were, not to mention we had an old plan that included rollover minutes (500 per month) with text messaging blocked for around 116$/month. Switching to T Mobile was a no brainer with the unlimited data promotion, I am enjoying tethering, unlimited data and a much faster network. Since I live in a metropolitan area I don't see coverage issues. Plus, switching to T Mobile means unlimited text messages and data in 120+ countries (Canada and Mexico) which my family frequents for free!

Coming from an AT&T customer since 2001, I love T Mobile!

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have excellent AT&T service where I am. I also have excellent T-Mobile service as well. Like you, I don't travel that much. Got sick of paying more for limited minutes and "unlimited" 5GB LTE data. Switched to T-Mobile and now have unlimited everything while paying less.

Figured if I decide to go on a road trip, I could always use cricket for a month.

6. HolyGrail, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

I was on verizon, but my situation was similar between sticking with verizon or leaving to tmobile. One of the reasons I left verizon was if you get a subsidized phone, an pay the phone off after 2 years, verizon doesn't reduce you're bill. At&t does the same thing. You're still paying payments on a phone you already payed off.

For example:

On my verizon unlimited account I pay around $110 a month. Lets say verizon still allowed upgrades for unlimited users as of today and I wanted to buy an iphone 6 128gb phone. It would cost me $470 for a new 2year contract of $110 a month.

Now take for example tmobile, You can get the iphone 6 128gb for only $270 and pay $107 for 2 years (so far that's good but it gets better). After the 2 years, Tmobile drops you're bill to $80 while with verizon you're still paying $110, saving you $33 an month vs verizon. This includes a unlimited everything no tether with a 5gb hotspot on tmobile, which verizon doesn't give you. Thats the catch with subsidies. That is how they get you. At least tmobile stopped ripping off users with fake subsidies. Also remember verizon no longer lets you upgrade with unlimited, so you're really screwed in the end.

Tmobile sucked 2 years ago, but since then they but billions in upgrading their network, and where I live (sacramento Ca) their data speed is twice as fast as I ever got with verizon. So it was a no brainier for me to go with tmobile after 8 years with verizon.

That said, tmobile is still not the carrier for travel, so stick to at&t if you have to do that. But if travel isn't a issue tmobile is a good choice since put they put in investment to improved their network . Their suppose to be finishing up the rural area network upgrades in 2015, which is nice. I like having four carrier to choose from, keeps you from being stuck with one.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

If T-Mobile offers comparable or better service than AT&T in your area then it makes perfect logical sense to switch. No sense in paying more for less with AT&T.

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I was under this impression too but it seems to have changed. My contract with Verizon ends on the 27th. I have been paying $93 a month for 3GBs. I made my last contract payment a few days ago and now when I look at my plan on the Verizon app it says I get 3GBs for $60. So apparently they do reduce their cost. This is probably a new thing due to competition.

However, ....I'm still looking at other options.

9. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I switched to T-Mobile about 4 years ago, from Verizon, and even with the limited coverage in my area, I'm happy. My iPhone is T-Mo, my iPad is on Verizon. Even with the $20/mo. for Verizon iPad (as opposed to $10 to add it to my T-Mo bill,) I'm paying less than if both were on Verizon and I'm always covered.

I use GPS, email, maps, etc., heavily 3 or 4 days a week, half in rural non-T-Mo areas, and I have never gone over the 1gb on my iPad, and I switch it off at home and use Wifi.

Before I traveled (locally) I would turn the Verizon off for months when I didn't need it, or on for a month at a time when I did need it. I like the on again off again option. During a power outage for two weeks, Verizon was the first to come back up.

I have an iPad 2, and looking forward to the iPad Air 2, so I can use that as a hotspot if needed. (iPad2 is dying, dropped it on it's face a few months ago, replaced glass, but it hasn't been the same since. Used it well for 3 years though.)

If you have good T-Mo coverage, and don't venture out into the blank spots often, it makes sense to switch. It's no-contract, so you can always go back to Verizon if you are not happy.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

That's one major area of doubt in switching from ATT to t-mobile, the reason why is I travel nearly every week. However, I travel to major metropolitan cities 99% of the time. I figure if I switch now, and have to wait until mid-2015 to have coverage in rural areas its worth it. I might be inconvenienced maybe a few times. Mid-2015 really isn't that far away.

Right now I'm a big fan of t-mobile, they're really kicking ass. I would use all of their features too......unlimited and un-throttled data (I've been throttled on ATT, bastards), data and text in 120+ countries, hotspot, etc etc. I like to notion of supporting the little guy, they're only going to get better.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I do this a lot, and I've been with T-Mobile since late June. I've been pleasantly surprised with the coverage. This isn't to say I've never been left on Edge... I have a few times when traveling by car. But if you're traveling by plane from city to city, and even most suburbs, you'll be fine.

I honestly thought T-Mo was way, way worse than it actually is.

And in any case, if you go no contract, you can always port back.

If you do end up switching, PM me (or you can use this link), and I'll be glad to set you up as a referral. You'll be able to get unlimited data for a year even if you're just paying for the 1GB plan, saving you roughly $30 a month. And we'll both get a $25 referral credit.

12. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Wait, I think tmobile still has that test drive. Where they let you have a iphone 5 for a week to allow you to test out their service for free. (they just put a hold on you're card) You just return the phone after a week no question's ask, and they cancel you're hold. Give that a shot.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If I was on a single line plan with unlimited data on AT&T I'd switch too cause paying around $90 for one phone is a lot.
    I'm on a family plan with 4 lines with 3 unlimited iphone data plans and unlimited talk and text for around $190 so that's not that bad.
    But Tmobile is very competitive and with that year free unlimited unthrottled is pretty good.