T-Mobile vs ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Feb 8, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Is it me, or does T-Mobile have better plans than AT&T? I was looking on their website and it looks like internet is 6 bucks? Is this true? Unlocking and going to T-Mobile might be cheaper...

Unless of course I read something wrong :p

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm happiest with...

AT&T's "rollover minutes" and if T-Mobile can beat that, then I would probably give them a "look-over!" :cool:

3. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I use T-mobiles myfaves with my bb plan and its great.

The services are generally cheaper and their CS is unrivaled. I have dealt with cingular service before and wasnt happy.

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

So how much would it be for unlimited Data and Text with the iphone on t-mobile?

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have a Wing with T-mobile and myFaves. That really can't be beat. I have a myFavs 300 and I barely even get up to 100 minutes - and I still don't call all myFaves - I have 2 slots basically empty (they're filled but I never call them).

6. zand macrumors newbie

$19.99 for the Total Internet w/Hotspot package. That's not with text though. Unlimited text is $14.99 so we're looking at $35 a month for internet and text on T-Mo.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I heard it's pretty good. The $20 unlimited also includes T-mo Wi-Fi hotspots. Or you could get the $5.99 unlimited gprs, but you basically only get port 80 and 200 something for email.

I'm not subscribed to either but I'm thinking about it within the year. Also I didn't get an iPhone because Apple didn't support T-mo. I wasn't about to pay $399 and have to hack my phone to work with my carrier of choice. Maybe if it were $200 I'd get one and hack it to work, but at $399 I'd rather not.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah I wish T-mo would do something about the txts. I mean they are on par with most other carriers, but it'd be nice for them to lead the pack. They could get so many subscribers by offering free unlimited sms to all plans - and sms doesn't cost a lot. Or free SMS to myFaves or something. I think they offered discounted SMS plans to myFaves once, but then I think they extended the discount to everyone to bring the prices to where they're at now.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yah t-mobile is VERY cheap - that's why i have an unlocked iphone on T-mobile :)

However... when the 3g iphone comes out, i'll probably have to jump ship to ATT since the two companies will use dif 3g bands, that is, if t-mobile ever releases 3G!

10. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

that's nothing, I have a family plan, 2 phones for 60.00 with taxes already. I have 1,000 minutes, nights and weekends unlimited, and 150 text messages. I got t-zones for 5.99. I unlocked my iphone and I got all of these features just for 70 dollars, with taxes, which is how much at&t has for 450 minutes, and 5,000 for nights and weekends (what the hell).

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I switched from T-Mobile 3 yrs ago. I always had troubled getting a good signal w/ them. hell, I remember one time when I went to NC, my service actually temporarily switched to AT&T (then Cingular) because T-mobile failed...needless to say i lol'd. apart from that, their plans were alright tho; the lack of signalage drove me nuts tho

12. elmo151 Guest

i went from T to cingular (now at&t) to get better reception. Now i have to stay with them because of the iPhone.

check the consumer reports site. They rate verizon the best,

13. betsbillabong macrumors regular

is it that easy?

is it that easy to use the iphone on t-mobile? i don't care about internet service on edge, but would like to use all the features of the iphone, esp. visual voicemail... i HATE verizon and am finally switching, my contract is over!

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, yes it's THAT easy...

But... if you want visual voicemail, look elsewhere! That's the only thing missing if you go to T-Mobile :D

15. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

I have tmobile now and I am seriously considering buying an iPhone and hacking it. I have my ipod touch jailbroken and I love it. I would LOVE to get an iphone and get rid of my blackberry. Do i need to have an older 4GB or can I hack a newer version?

16. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

I used to be a T Mobile customer. While their plans are cheaper, I found the coverage to be extremely spotty, at least here in Ohio. AT & T has much better coverage. My plan actually costs the same as Tmobile $60 a month.

17. drb6 macrumors regular

As always with cell phone carriers, it depends on where you are. Of course Verizon is the best but I wouldn't give them my money in a million years.

T-mobile is generally good in the northeast. Back home in Massachusetts it was much better than AT&T and Sprint (which I had and was shoddy-I'd go into Stop & Shop and lose signal beyond the cart section). In NYC, I believe AT&T's service is quite good. Probably second after Verizon.

But another vote for T-mobile in the Customer Service department, my roommate had it and it was so much better than Sprint and as I've heard AT&T.

18. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

well i have both tmobile and AT& T an the prices for me are pretty much the same..... and they talk about edge is slow on AT&T that crap even slower on tmobile i dont even bother using it, and this is with a phone that dosent even load full web pages, just mobile crap, and it is still slower than my iphone.

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile does not even work where I live. A friend of mine lives near Jacksonville, FL and he said that T-Mobile just dropped their service in that area. He is looking for something new now. I have rarely had a problem with AT&T's service and the Edge seems to fly on the iPhone everywhere I have been. The plan is only $60 a month. It has Rollover minutes, free mobile to mobile, 200 text. I never go through all of that!

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I have an older T-Mobile Plan: $39.99 for 1000 minutes, unlimited nights/weekends.

Since people like to text now, I had to add the $4.99 for 400 text messages.

I tried the T-Mobile T-Zone with the hack but never got it working (maybe they wised up and disabled it for smartphones?).

I had to get the $20/month Total Internet plan but it not only gives me edge but WiFi at all T-Mobile Hotspots (Starbucks, but I hear that's changing, and Borders, etc.).

So, $64.97/month for 1000 mins, 400 text, and unlimited data with HotSpot access...

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When the iPhone sourcing of AT&T first came up, there were some discussions about pricing with different carriers. It always seemed to me that AT&T customers reported a lot higher fees and charges than I am used to -- that is, what their actual monthly bill was, given the cost of their service charge.

As an example, I have...

1000 minutes, etc = $39.99
    SMS = $4.99
    Blackberry = $19.99

And a typical monthly bill for these services is $69.37, meaning that the sum of all fees, surcharges, etc, was $4.40...

Back then, I heard several AT&T users report that their fees and charges were much more, like someone who had a plan in the range of mine ($65) paying $80 or more as their monthly bill.

Anyone have any experience using both services with similar rateplans costwise in the SAME PLACE that can provide any feedback on this? I don't understand why fees would differ drastically between carriers, but you really never know.

22. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I have been with AT&T going on 9 years, before Cingular when it was PacBell Wireless, here in San Diego and have great service. I have never once had a problem with customer service. I've had dropped calls, like I am sure everyone has, not to say I have never had them. The coverage area is good and gets better each year. I used to travel alot for work, and had great service in Florida, New Mexico, Washington etc.
    I am happy with AT&T. I understand you can't please everyone, everyone will have their own opinions on telecomm companies as they do with computer companies, car companies etc. Some prefer rollover minutes, others want my favorite 5, 10 or 20. Some what free mobile to mobile. AT&T works for me, and has for some time.

I had a blackberry plan prior to my iphone. The blackberry was $85 a month. My iphone is $70.

23. xXF3ARLESSv2 macrumors newbie

T-mobile is cheaper no questions its a fact i have t-mobile i have 5 active numbers unlimited text, 3000whenever mins, unlimited mobile-mobile, unlimited after 7pm on weekdays, and unlimited weekends and my bill stays around 220 and my friend has 3 att numbers active they have unlimited text, 2000mins, unlimited after 7, unlimited weekends, mobile-mobile and there bill stays around 315

total garbage att is a rip off and raising the bar big deal 5 bars is the same as one ITS A SIGNAL does the same thing and att takes forever to get through and you can only call customer care if you are the actual account holder and there rude, tmobile on the other hand longest i had was 20min and polite

ATT SUCKS

T-Mobile is better

FACT!!!!!!!!!111

24. crazydrumma macrumors regular

That is a load of hogwash. One bar is ABSOLUTELY NOT the same as five. That's just silly. And, obviously T-mobile would be cheaper, you can't use their phones in the first place. My roomate last year had T-mobile, and the guy was always pissed off. He NEVER got a signal, and at his house, he actually couldn't get a signal at all, even though we live around Chicago. The only phones that I have seen get a great signal in Barrington are iPhones.

It also can depend on who you work for. I am a starbucks employee and get 20% off monthly bills from either AT&T, Verizon (hate it, switching to get an iPhone soon), T-mobile, and Sprint.

Basically, look at where you are most. I am at a college campus a lot, and in my apartment. My wife and I get crap service in our apartment, so we're switching. If the provider you want has great service where you are using your phone most, go for it.

25. Inukami macrumors 6502

Question!

Does T-mobile allow you to get data plan by itself on a phone without voice plan? $6 a month +$30 for skype first month. That would be kickass paying $6 for data+voice service xD