T-Mobile Wifi Calling with a Verizon 6/6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eekcat, Sep 14, 2014.

1. eekcat macrumors 6502a

So, with all of the uncertainty regarding whether T-Mobile's contract-free 6/6+ will be truly unlocked (depending on the support person you talk to, or who you buy it from, or at what price), I wonder if the Verizon model would still be the best one to buy outright to have maximum flexibility? (whenever we're able to stroll into an Apple store and buy one w/o being a VZW customer)

Only thing is - I'd like to use mine on T-Mobile, at least for now... but will there be something different about either the firmware or phone app that will allow for T-Mobile wifi calling on a non-T-Mobile phone? (or maybe it's just a carrier update)

I'm willing to wait a bit longer for an in-Apple-Store Verizon phone if there aren't any downsides to it aside from a few weeks' wait...

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

T-Mobile Wifi Calling with a Verizon 6/6+?

No. No trouble at all

3. wxman2003 Suspended

You may need a Personal Cellspot to improve wifi calling and texting.

"The carrier also unveiled the Personal CellSpot carrier, which is a router that it designed to improve WiFi calling and texting. The CellSpot can run either alongside your current router, or as a standalone router. The biggest selling point for the device, however, is that for anyone on T-Mobile, the CellSpot is free, albeit for a $25 deposit. You can also purchase it outright for $99."

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/10/t-mobile-unveils-expanded-wifi-calling-capabilities-personal-cellspot-router-partnership-with-gogo/

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Their own wifi router/cellspot is not a must have to do wifi calling. You can do it connected to any wifi.
    Their own cellspot is designed to improve WiFi calling and texting but its not mandatory to be able to do it.
    And Im sure any unlocked iphone will do it on their network. Its just a carrier software file that enables the feature when you activate the phone by using a Tmobile sim.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

I give T Mobile credit for offering a device in case people do have issues with wifi calling.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, its always good having options.
    Its more like a wifi router than just a cellspot like verizon and AT&T for example. Theirs is just for calls and not for any router traffic.
    I guess people have some very old routers still around and tmobile wants to make sure they get a good user experience while using their wifi calling feature.

7. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

Tmo WiFi calling is part of the firmware. VZ won't be able to have a tmo app loaded.

8. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

Unlike other make & models, Apple iPhones are different, since 5C/5S Apple has made its iPhones more universal unlike older iPhones.

almost 1 model fits all. Apple simply has carrier profiles embedded into the software on every iPhone that enable certain functions given the iPhone has the required hardware (iPhone 5C/5S/6/6+ all have everything T-mobile requires).

So if you buy the Verizon iPhone 6/6+ you will have Full functionality on AT&T + T-Mobile (Including WiFi Calling on T-Mobile).

You will also get Full 4G/LTE in many other countries with carriers that use those specific LTE bands as well as full 3G/4G HSPA+ support, Hotspot, etc.

Like you will also be able to take your Verizon iPhone 6/6+ and put in a EE UK SIM and get WiFi Calling if you are ever in UK and decide to get local service.

iPhones are designed efficiently unlike Samsung, Nokia etc and many others who make AT&T Specific (or cripple T-Mobile bands) or T-Mobile Specific.

----------

You are wrong, T-Mobile WiFi is built into the firmware on every iPhone 5/5C/5S/6/6+, Don't you know that Apple doesn't allow carriers to bloat the devices?

T-Mobile WiFi will work on every iPhone 5/5C/5S/6/6+ without additional App, all it requires is T-Mobile service and a WiFi Connection.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    Its not a tmobile app, its built inside the ios firmware and enabled/disabled by carrier configuration files.

10. RansZ28, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no such thing as tmobile firmware. Period.
    There is no Tmobile carrier App for wifi calling. Period.
    You can claim whatever you want but if you were really any type of iphone dev you'd know at least the basics....

That was a quick change of opinion:D lol

12. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yeah, was gonna say the same thing. WP and 'some' Android phones have different firmware for the WiFi calling feature, which is probably why there is confusion.
    I know I am still waiting for my Cyan firmware update on my Lumia, but ATT has had it for 2 months. Apparently the WiFi calling feature is an issue for T-Mobile updates on WP.
    Hope there are no issues with the iPhone wi-fi calling, because it is actually an awesome feature, especially if you have a multistory house with lots of concrete (basement) or metal t-braces (2 story houses). T-Mobile lower freq spectrum isn't the best for building penetration.