T-Mobile Wifi Calling

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Illuminated, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I was under the impression that 4S and above would support wifi calling if you're with T-mobile. I have an iPhone 5, Tmobile carrier version 17.1, but no option to turn on wifi calling. Updated to iOS8 this morning.

Can anyone confirm? Pretty upset that there is actually no wifi calling on the iphone 5. Really heavily considering to go for the iphone 6 now if there isn't any wifi calling on the 5 as they had originally promised.

2. jonzg macrumors newbie

No wifi calling on iPhone 5 iOS 5

Same here, iOS 8 on iPhone 5 and no wifi calling, no option to turn it on on settings --> phone. Any ideas how to turn it on?

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

The iPhone 5 is supported.

Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calls > On

4. jonzg macrumors newbie

Not on my iPhone 5. did a OTA update to ios8 and then did a clean install without using backup and nothing.

There is no option on settings --> phone for wifi calls

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Hmm. Yeah that's strange then T-Mobile did promise the iPhone 5 would be supported. Did you guys get a carrier update too? I just received one on my 5S.

6. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

This is from Cnet:

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-makes-big-wi-fi-push-on-heels-of-iphone-6s-wi-fi-calling/

"T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling feature isn't new, and many of its smartphones already offer the capability, with Apple playing catch up. The company said it has 20 million customers in its base with a Wi-Fi calling-capable phone. Apple highlighted as the sole US carrier currently offering the feature in its presentation on Tuesday. Along with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, older versions of the iPhone, going as far back as the iPhone 5C and 5S, would get the feature with the installation of the iOS 8 software upgrade."

Wi-Fi calling is iPhone 5c, 5S and iPhone 6 and 6 Plus only.

7. geeshiet macrumors member

T-Mobile Wifi Calling

Have you updated carrier settings? Settings>General>About

Woops just saw that you're on 17.1.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

On another note do the Wi-Fi calls drop for anyone else when switching from Wi-Fi to cellular? I remember Apple and T-Mobile bragging that about a seamless handoff from Wi-Fi to cellular in iOS 8.

9. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 8, T-Mobile 17.1, no WiFi calling option is available in the phone section of settings for me.

Looks like it's 5c (even though it has the iP5 hardware) 5s, 6 and 6 plus only.

----------

In the press releases I read I believe they were only claiming this smooth transition between WiFi calling and VoLTE which hasn't been launched by any US carrier quite yet.

10. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

When you're going from Wifi to VoLTE it won't drop. Wifi to anything will always drop. Also T-Mobile has VoLTE.

FYI is everyone ignoring my previous post? iPhone 5 does NOT have wifi calling that is 5C and up only.

11. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I believe that this is only for the iPhone 6/6+