Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced that, starting October 22, it will pay off a qualifying customer's remaining eligible smartphone payments up to $1,000 via virtual prepaid MasterCard when they switch to the carrier in the United States.

iphone-se-black.jpeg

The limited time offer is designed to allow customers to switch from their current carrier to T-Mobile and continue using their existing smartphone without cost. T-Mobile has more details available on its website, including instructions for customers looking to switch from Verizon, AT&T, U.S. Cellular, and select other carriers.

The steps on T-Mobile's website include verifying your smartphone is an eligible device, submitting screenshot proof of your current device payment plan balance, ordering a T-Mobile SIM card and choosing a plan, and submitting a rebate claim. The prepaid MasterCard can then be used to pay off the remaining device balance at your previous carrier.

Fine print indicates that a credit check and an eligible T-Mobile plan is required. The smartphone must be unlocked before being ported in to T-Mobile.

Article Link: T-Mobile Will Pay Off Your Current Phone Up to $1,000 If You Switch

clive27

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
And they'll give you free identity theft protection when they get hacked! Again.
When the US OPM (Office of Personnel Management) got hacked a few years ago and my EXTENSIVE personal data (SSN, past 10 years of residence, all foreign travel history, close friends and their phone numbers, all my family members and their SSN, address, phone numbers, etc) was stolen, I got 2 years of free identity monitoring and did not care about data leaks anymore. By now, anyone who is interested in my personal data knows more about me than my mom does. I have $1M Identity Theft Insurance and just stopped worrying about it.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Doesn’t help people who bought their phones outright. I guess T-Mobile just wants customers who like financing things.

If you bought your phone outright, you have no outstanding balance for them to pay, so I don't get your complaint. The point is they are trying to remove a potential barrier from people switching ("I'd like to switch, but then I'd have to pay off my phone balance, and I can't afford to right now").

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Requiring ATT users to pay off their device first to get unlocked and switch. So not a prepay for ATT.

Last edited:

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
If you bought your phone outright, you have no outstanding balance for them to pay, so I don't get your complaint. The point is they are trying to remove a potential barrier from people switching ("I'd like to switch, but then I'd have to pay off my phone balance, and I can't afford to right now").
The point they are making is that if I were to pay $1000 upfront for my phone vs someone who chose to pay over time gets rewarded by having the remaining phone paid for by T-Mobile. By not putting myself in debt, or saving up before making purchases I don't get the same reward. This is the complaint.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
The point they are making is that if I were to pay $1000 upfront for my phone vs someone who chose to pay over time gets rewarded by having the remaining phone paid for by T-Mobile. By not putting myself in debt, or saving up before making purchases I don't get the same reward. This is the complaint.
Sure they have some type of ‘bring your own device’ deal.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
The last time I looked at TMo’s promo for paying off your device - you had to have been on the payment plan for 90 days from your previous provider. Does that still apply to this one?

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
Doesn’t help people who bought their phones outright. I guess T-Mobile just wants customers who like financing things.
Yeah, unfortunately wireless providers, like credit card companies, hate people who pay for things outright or pay their bills in full each month. They focus their business development incentives toward people they think they can lock in.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

I knew exactly what he was saying, but my point is that it doesn't make sense from T-Mobile's perspective, since the whole point here is to remove a barrier to switching. And if your phone is already paid off, then obviously having to pay off a financed phone is not a barrier to switching ?‍♂️

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
Bingo. While there is no excuse for lacking protection measures (TMO, others) in general, the OPM breach put EVERYTHING out there for me and mine. Be proactive (US) and freeze your credit. If you want to take it a step further, invest in regular monitoring.

When the US OPM (Office of Personnel Management) got hacked a few years ago and my EXTENSIVE personal data (SSN, past 10 years of residence, all foreign travel history, close friends and their phone numbers, all my family members and their SSN, address, phone numbers, etc) was stolen, I got 2 years of free identity monitoring and did not care about data leaks anymore. By now, anyone who is interested in my personal data knows more about me than my mom does. I have $1M Identity Theft Insurance and just stopped worrying about it.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
And they'll give you free identity theft protection when they get hacked! Again.
yep i was on sprint forced on t-mobile literally months after the hack i have been getting berated by non stop scam text and calls I do not find this a coincidence

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
T-Mobile! Still only offering these awesome deals to new customers or adding lines. Pisses me off! When my 5 device family is ready to upgrade next year…T-Mobile, you-are-gone. ?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If this is BYOD is it month to month?
Can I switch for a month, pay off and unlock my AT&T phone, and then switch back to AT&T?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
T-Mobile! Still only offering these awesome deals to new customers or adding lines. Pisses me off! When my 5 device family is ready to upgrade next year…T-Mobile, you-are-gone. ?
How is that any different than any other carrier or service provider (such as for broadband internet)? These offers are designed to attract and bring in new customers. If you're already a customer, there's less of an incentive for them to throw promotions and offers at you.

If you really want to take advantage of the offers, just do as I do for home broadband internet if they won't extend the same offer to you: leave (assuming you have another provider to go to).

You can port out for a month or so and then port back to qualify for the offer.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
Yeah, unfortunately wireless providers, like credit card companies, hate people who pay for things outright or pay their bills in full each month. They focus their business development incentives toward people they think they can lock in.

Having been in retail when I was in high school and through college, credit cards were the $ maker. people spend ALOT more once they know the "funds" AKA DEBT is at their disposal.

even the incentives today lock people in with monthly payments for the device (which is a depreciating debt liability) AND have to pay high monthly service plan.

While I do understand that phones are not what they once were. Now they're used for entertainment and technology has come a long way. That's no reason to finance $ and pay a high monthly bill over the course of a few years.

I'll stay on prepaid and buy my phones outright or when they have deals. I'm fine with the simplified and cheap path for wireless service. I'm also not a "super-user" that calls/text/stream/online all the time.

I'm in the exception group, rather than the general population.

Albert Einstein is reputed to have said, “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it; he who doesn't, pays it.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.