Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today introduced a limited time promotion to encourage Verizon customers with select iPhone models to switch to their network.

iphone_trio.jpg

Starting May 31, when a Verizon customer with an iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, or iPhone SE brings their smartphone to T-Mobile, they'll be able to keep the device, and have any remaining monthly payments owing towards it paid off in full, whether it's $1 or $1,000.

The catch is that Verizon customers will be required to pay $15 per month for T-Mobile's Premium Device Protection Plus insurance program in addition to their new T-Mobile ONE plan. The insurance program protects an iPhone from loss, theft, and accidental damage.

A spokesperson for T-Mobile told MacRumors that the usual AppleCare+ perks of the Premium Device Protection Plus plan are not included since the iPhones switched over aren't purchased as new.

The offer will be available at T-Mobile stores across the United States next week. T-Mobile says the balance of any remaining device payments will be provided in the form of a digital prepaid MasterCard in approximately 15 to 30 days. Customers must remain with T-Mobile for 60+ days after switching.

Article Link: T-Mobile Will Pay Off Your iPhone If You Switch From Verizon

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
For those who were going to say, "ah, that $15/month is the catch," the other promotion they're offering is two lines for the price of one, so it really would benefit a family of four moving from Verizon to T-Mobile and lessen the blow of the imposed $15 a month when you're getting 4 lines for the price of 3.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Can you cancel the contract anytime though? If you can I don't see why someone wouldn't just cancel Verizon, take the paid off phone, chill on T Mobile for a month, then hop back to Verizon with a paid off phone.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It's worth clarifying that this deal is only applicable if you've had the contract for 60+ days.

Otherwise somebody could get a Verizon contract, then immediately take it to T-Mob and have a new iPhone for $15 a month. So if you were thinking of doing that, don't! :)
If someone takes this deal on day 61 it's a pretty good deal. If they are closer to paying the phone off, less so.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
I would do it in a heartbeat if they offer this for my AT&T account.

This is for AT&T and Sprint:

"For Customers of AT&T and Sprint
And, of course, the Un-carrier hasn’t forgotten other carrier customers. Thanks to Carrier Freedom, AT&T and Sprint customers can also switch, and starting on May 31 for a limited time, T-Mobile will pay off your phone or early termination fee when you finance a new device. On top of that, for a limited time, there is no trade-in required at all. So you can keep that phone and do whatever you want with it."

Mangos86

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
So I switched from att to Verizon in April. Verizon is paying off my att phones. If I waited until day 61 and went to T-Mobile this would be a good deal. My question is though it says on Verizon's site that plan must be active for 6 months with trade in deal they run. What will they come after me for ?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's like saying, "Great, I'm saving money...but I have no service!" My wife still holds it against me for switching her to T-MOBILE. Can we say "failed experiment"?
As per usual with mobile phones YMMV. Sorry that T-mo isn't good in your area. Where I live it works well and getting better every year. I now have service in places I used to get 0 bars.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I switched to TMob earlier this year. It's as bad as people say it is. Don't believe the ads. For all the value added they give you there is no bargain when you can't get a data signal -- in the DC Metro and inside tall buildings, in most of New Orleans, parts of Atlanta. Bummer, I really wanted to like them but they can't compare to the service I got when I was with ATT. I'm just waiting it out until the new models come out and will make a leap somewhere else.
[doublepost=1495640124][/doublepost]
Can you cancel the contract anytime though? If you can I don't see why someone wouldn't just cancel Verizon, take the paid off phone, chill on T Mobile for a month, then hop back to Verizon with a paid off phone.

Yes, TMob is no contract. Best thing about them -- that and the free MLB TV. I might commit harikari if I got locked up with them.
[doublepost=1495640393][/doublepost]
As per usual with mobile phones YMMV. Sorry that T-mo isn't good in your area. Where I live it works well and getting better every year. I now have service in places I used to get 0 bars.

My previous ATT service was decent just about everywhere up and down the east coast. And even in the most remote places I never got "E" level speed like I can with T-Mob. "E"! Before I switched to TMob I hadn't seen that since I upgraded to the iPhone 3G.

Whimseh

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Can they do this for AT&T though?? I've been wanting to switch but I'm not purchasing a $1,000 phone outright.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It's like saying, "Great, I'm saving money...but I have no service!" My wife still holds it against me for switching her to T-MOBILE. Can we say "failed experiment"?
I used to bag on T-Mobile like you. I had ATT and was an arrogant prick, always mocking T-Mobile "lol can and a string!"

Then I actually got T-Mobile. They've come a super long way and I have zero regrets. I have blazing fast service literally everywhere I go (~4 states in the mountain west).

Their recent auction winning means their service is aggressively being built. I know they have said "were getting better guys!" for years, but this time it's legit.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/tmobile-spectrum-auction-win.htm

Better hop on a plan, which they won't force you out of, while they are still cheap. $70 with no taxes is a super good deal...$100 for 2 lines is smoking.

Or not. Whatever makes you happy. Just know they aren't a two can and string network any longer. The internet memes are outdated.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I used to bag on T-Mobile like you. I had ATT and was an arrogant prick, always mocking T-Mobile "lol can and a string!"

Then I actually got T-Mobile. They've come a super long way and I have zero regrets. I have blazing fast service literally everywhere I go (~4 states in the mountain west).

Their recent auction winning means their service is aggressively being built. I know they have said "were getting better guys!" for years, but this time it's legit.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/tmobile-spectrum-auction-win.htm

Better hop on a plan, which they won't force you out of, while they are still cheap. $70 with no taxes is a super good deal...$100 for 2 lines is smoking.

Or not. Whatever makes you happy. Just know they aren't a two can and string network any longer. The internet memes are outdated.

Problem is, T-Mobile coverage still isn't great in the outlying areas. I was on T-Mobile for three days about a month ago, but a set of tin cans and string would have given me better coverage out here where I—and a few thousand other people—work (near the Golden Spike). I moved to T-Mobile from Sprint and found that at my house, their network was roughly 1,500x faster. That's no exaggeration, Sprint really has sunken that low here in Utah!

After sitting at my desk here at work for 10 hours without so much as a single bar of service, I decided it was time to drop T-Mobile. Sure they just won a bunch of low-band spectrum, but as I was told by a T-Mobile tech, "Unfortunately, even with the new spectrum auction winnings, it could be months, if not years, before the new signals cover the entire US." Verizon is a lot more expensive, but at least I have coverage right now where it matters most (to me).

Reactions: Pamela5 and RF9

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I switched to TMob earlier this year. It's as bad as people say it is. Don't believe the ads. For all the value added they give you there is no bargain when you can't get a data signal -- in the DC Metro and inside tall buildings, in most of New Orleans, parts of Atlanta. Bummer, I really wanted to like them but they can't compare to the service I got when I was with ATT. I'm just waiting it out until the new models come out and will make a leap somewhere else.
[doublepost=1495640124][/doublepost]

Yes, TMob is no contract. Best thing about them -- that and the free MLB TV. I might commit harikari if I got locked up with them.
[doublepost=1495640393][/doublepost]

My previous ATT service was decent just about everywhere up and down the east coast. And even in the most remote places I never got "E" level speed like I can with T-Mob. "E"! Before I switched to TMob I hadn't seen that since I upgraded to the iPhone 3G.
I'm in the DC area too, and have been considering switching from Verizon (switched from AT&T in 2009). Any idea how it compares to Verizon in the area?

Also, about the tall buildings, it's the rebar in the building most likely. A lot of the buildings in DC have AT&T repeaters installed on the top of the building to help the signal for government employees. Verizon, at least when they were CDMA, didn't have this problem and is why I switched.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm in the DC area too, and have been considering switching from Verizon (switched from AT&T in 2009). Any idea how it compares to Verizon in the area?

Also, about the tall buildings, it's the rebar in the building most likely. A lot of the buildings in DC have AT&T repeaters installed on the top of the building to help the signal for government employees. Verizon, at least when they were CDMA, didn't have this problem and is why I switched.

No, up until I switched to TMob, I had ATT since the original iPhone. Someone here was saying it wasn't as great as advertised but that can't be as bad as TMob. I can't even get service in the L'Enfant Metro. Most other stations aren't too great either unless they are above ground. Ha ha.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
No, up until I switched to TMob, I had ATT since the original iPhone. Someone here was saying it wasn't as great as advertised but that can't be as bad as TMob. I can't even get service in the L'Enfant Metro. Most other stations aren't too great either unless they are above ground. Ha ha.

Ugh...that sucks.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
We may go for this, depending on what the 60+ days thing means. We have been with Verizon for years but recently did upgrade a phone. Curious to see the actual terms next week.

camarograna2

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
So i couldnt find anywhere about needing to be a Verizon customer for 60 days. Furthermore i asked and this is what i got.

Attachments

• 2017-05-24 15.28.09.png
    2017-05-24 15.28.09.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 251

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

How much time do you spend in buildings that have WiFi? Heck, where I live in the Rockies even the free trolly has wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.