MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TMobile-Family-250x228.jpg
T-Mobile has announced a new Family Match promotion that offers families four lines of unlimited talk, text, and 6GB of 4G LTE data per line for $120 per month starting May 11. Additional lines can be added for $20 per month.
As America gets set for summertime travel, summer camps, summer concerts and more fun in the summer sun, the Un-carrier's got you covered. Starting tomorrow, families can get 4 lines with unlimited talk, text and data with 6GB of Un-carrier Data per line for just $30 a line - a savings of $20 per month for a family of four on T-Mobile Simple Choice with Family Match. Additional lines are just an extra $20 each per month with 6GB.
The deal is not quite as good as T-Mobile's past Family Match promotions, including the same four-line deals with unlimited LTE per line for $150 per month or 10GB of LTE per line for $120 per month, but it does provide Simple Choice customers that missed out with another savings opportunity heading into the summer season.

The limited time offer is available for new and existing Simple Choice customers on approved credit, and the promotion can be combined with T-Mobile's other offers, including Binge On, Data Stash, JUMP! On Demand, Mobile Without Borders, and Music Freedom. T-Mobile will also pay up to $650 of your early termination fees if you switch to their carrier from AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint.

The new Family Match plans are available starting Wednesday at T-Mobile stores across the U.S. or by calling 844-222-1927.

Article Link: T-Mobile's New Family Plan Offers 4 Lines With 6GB LTE Each for $120

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I liked the previous promo better, which I believe is still available until end of business day today. You get the same 6GB per line at 2 lines minimum at $80. Additional lines are $20 each.

Reactions: shareef777
Comment

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
What's the limit on lines?

I've been adding a lot of people to my AT&T family plan. They limit you to 10 people. With all my discounts it is $300 for 10 people, or $30 per person... but we have to share 30GB of data. Coverage is amazing, though. In the St. Louis region it seems to be better than Sprint, T-Mobile, and even Verizon.

The T-Mobile plan would be $240 for the same 10 people, and we'd each get 6GB plus the Unlimited Music and Video streaming.

The issue, of course, is coverage. Their 1900 and 2100 MHz stuff is all over. 1700 MHz is a bit better, and most of my devices probably support that. But their 700 MHz coverage? I don't even know how much coverage we have of that, or if any of our phones even support it. Plus, I already know of one total dead-zone with them. Any time I visit a certain in-law we get no service with anything other than AT&T.

Comment

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Indiana
My girlfriend and i got the 10gb each plan when they offered it. Its an amazing deal. two lines for 100 then 30 for each additional line. We hardly use data though since music and video streaming doesn't count towards your data. So we have like 40gb of data stashed. So glad i switched from att

Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX

"You have reached the maximum of 6 lines available online. For more lines, call 1-877-353-3615." I imagine visiting a store would work, too.

The issue, of course, is coverage. Their 1900 and 2100 MHz stuff is all over. 1700 MHz is a bit better, and most of my devices probably support that. But their 700 MHz coverage? I don't even know how much coverage we have of that, or if any of our phones even support it. Plus, I already know of one total dead-zone with them. Any time I visit a certain in-law we get no service with anything other than AT&T.

There are plenty of ways to see how they are where you travel. Sensorly, RootMetrics, T-Mobile's map, CellMapper, using a prepaid plan for a while, etc.

If you're into iPhones, the 6s / 6s+ support band 12 LTE / 700MHz, as does the 9.7" iPad Pro. According to Spectrum Gateway, T-Mobile doesn't have any L700 licenses in St. Louis ("King Street Wireless" owns it).

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Jeez. This article doesn't even try to be subtle. Native advertising at its worst.

I would disagree. While MacRumors might be compensated if you sign up through them, this line:
The deal is not quite as good as T-Mobile's past Family Match promotions, including the same four-line deals with unlimited LTE per line for $150 per month or 10GB of LTE per line for $120 per month, but it does provide Simple Choice customers that missed out with another savings opportunity heading into the summer season.

Makes this a news article, not a native advertisement. MacRumors is informing its readers that a deal exists, and is comparing it to other available deals (granted, they're from the same company... but still, it's news about a service, not an ad for a service.)

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

I've been adding a lot of people to my AT&T family plan. They limit you to 10 people. With all my discounts it is $300 for 10 people, or $30 per person... but we have to share 30GB of data. Coverage is amazing, though. In the St. Louis region it seems to be better than Sprint, T-Mobile, and even Verizon.
The information is not yet available but all recent T-Mobile plans are capped at 12 lines maximum.

I switched to Simple Choice North America 6GB Family Match 2-12 lines Promo ($80 for 2 lines, $20 each additional line) few weeks ago and its name suggests, it allows anywhere between 2 to 12 lines. I am guessing the new promo will be called Simple Choice North America 6GB Family Match 4-12 lines Promo ($100 for 4 lines, $20 each additional line).

As for the coverage, T-Mobile does not yet have 700MHz (LTE band 12) license in St. Louis, MO and many subscribers have mixed experience. So I recommend sticking with AT&T.

Comment

patimages

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
This is soooo expensive ... In France (and in many EU countries), we get 50GB LTE for 15€=17$, all the rest being unlimited... And the companies still make loads of money ... Can't believe the crazy prices in the States... Agreed that the country is bigger and the investments are more important but this does not justify such unbelievable prices ...

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is soooo expensive ... In France (and in many EU countries), we get 50GB LTE for 15€=17$, all the rest being unlimited... And the companies still make loads of money ... Can't believe the crazy prices in the States... Agreed that the country is bigger and the investments are more important but this does not justify such unbelievable prices ...

Where? Genuine question.

Europe is more expensive in lots of other ways.

Comment

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I'm no balance sheet expert, but you might be surprised at the costs associated with running a nationwide carrier in the US.

Why would that mean anything? If it did, they could just do it on state level and do free traffic exchange. If anything having one big thing would mean reduced overhead and cost.

Comment

patimages

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
Where? Genuine question.

Europe is more expensive in lots of other ways.

As mentioned, in France for instance (a company called "Free"). Or Austria ... Germany is more expensive but nothing compared to the States.
Not sure that Europe is more expensive than US. I travel a lot in the US (love the country) but life is truly expensive there : hotels, food, a good coffee, etc ... I won't even speak of housing ...

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As mentioned, in France for instance (a company called "Free"). Or Austria ... Germany is more expensive but nothing compared to the States.
Not sure that Europe is more expensive than US. I travel a lot in the US (love the country) but life is truly expensive there : hotels, food, a good coffee, etc ... I won't even speak of housing ...

I didn't say Europe is more expensive, I said "Europe is more expensive in lots of other ways."

Comment

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
To bad their signal sucks

Or it doesn't (it's not 2010 anymore), depending on where you are etc

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485838,00.asp

In my area (South Sound WA primarily) it's been superior to my wife's AT&T work phone on the fringes of coverage (both tend to drop out at nearly the same time but my T-Mobile phone hangs onto a lower speed connection for much longer, oddly enough Verizon is not an option as guests to my home find out).

Comment

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
🇨🇦
Jeez. This article doesn't even try to be subtle. Native advertising at its worst.

I would disagree. While MacRumors might be compensated if you sign up through them, this line:

Makes this a news article, not a native advertisement. MacRumors is informing its readers that a deal exists, and is comparing it to other available deals (granted, they're from the same company... but still, it's news about a service, not an ad for a service.)

It is not an advertisement and, at least to my best knowledge, MacRumors is not compensated for any sort of sign ups. It was simply a press release that I wrote in a very straightforward tone, and I ensure you any real advertisement would be labeled as such. We are very transparent about things like that. Just a T-Mobile promotion worth sharing for those who wish to take advantage!

Comment

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
Great job now just improve your coverage in North Texas. I switched for 2 months in 2015 and the coverage was miserable. I had no choice but to go back with att.

Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
People are willing to pay $1440 (not including taxes) / year for this ?

Verizon: 4 lines, 6GB shared (not each line) = $140/mo.
AT&T: 4 lines, 5GB shared (not each line) = $150/mo.
Sprint: 4 lines, 6GB each (I think) = $125/mo.

Sprint's the cheapest, but it's still Sprint.

Here in the U.S. at least, too bad you have to be in a major metropolitan area to get any service.

That line doesn't work anymore.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.