Carrier T-Mobile's Next Speed Boost Requires New Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BasicGreatGuy, Feb 22, 2017.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Even though I am not a customer, I found this interesting. For those who are customers and looking to get a new phone right now, you might want to wait a little bit.

---------------------------------

"T-Mobile is opening up more lanes on its information highway, but you'll need a new phone to drive on them. The carrier has started to deploy LTE-U, which pipes LTE signals over unused 5GHz Wi-Fi channels to enhance capacity. The carrier's use of 20MHz of LTE-U makes it much easier for it to deploy gigabit LTE, which requires 50MHz of LTE spectrum. T-Mobile made the announcement today because the FCC approved LTE-U after a long tussle with the Wi-Fi alliance over LTE-U's coexistence with Wi-Fi. LTE-U will require new phones, though."

http://www.pcmag.com/news/351905/t-mobiles-next-speed-boost-requires-new-phones

2. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Maybe I misread the article, but it seems as if the title of it is a bit misleading. This new LTE-U technology isn't a "speed boost" in itself, but *may* allow for increased speeds if utilized correctly. Basically, from what I gather, it would increase the chances of a compatible device receiving current LTE speeds. So its truly a capacity boost that would help with network congestion and allow speeds to stay high.

3. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think it is two-fold, according to the artlcie, albeit emphasis appears to be on capacity and speed secondary.

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

That seems likely, and I'm glad the emphasis is put on capacity. LTE speeds are excellent as-is IMO, at least for now. I cant tell any difference between 30mbps and 100 mbps, and I doubt there are many users who are downloading vast quantities of data to notice either. But if this new technology means that I can consistently get a 30mbps connection, rather than increasing my occasional peak speed, then I'm all for it.

I just wonder if we'll see any LTE-U consumer devices this year?

5. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You might see Android capable devices. With the faster modems becoming available later this year, I don't think we will see them in the Fall iPhone release. We will probably have to wait until 2018. Just a guess.