T-Rex, Hedgehog, Sandwich, Vampire and Zombie Among Emoji Proposed for 2017's Unicode 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Unicode Consortium today published the list of proposed emoji that could potentially be included in Unicode 10, set to be released in 2017, giving us a first glimpse at the emojis we might see included in future iOS updates.

Today's proposal includes 51 emoji candidates [PDF], including flying saucer, shocked face with exploding head, face with open mouth vomiting, grinning face with star eyes, coconut, broccoli, pie, pretzel, sandwich, t-rex, giraffe face, sauropod (basically a brontosaurus), hedgehog, mage, vampire, fairy, elf, genie, zombie, and tons more.

[​IMG]
    Image via Emojipedia

Emoji candidates are often chosen for multiple reasons, ranging from expected high frequency of use to requests from online communities. Others fill in gaps in existing emoji sets or are compatible with current emoji characters.

The Unicode 10 emoji candidates are not yet finalized, so it is possible some of the characters on the list could be eliminated. We may also see new emoji additions before Unicode 10 is finalized in 2017.

With emoji growing in popularity, Apple has started adopting new emojis more frequently. iOS 10.2 includes support for Unicode 9 emoji, introducing characters like clown face, drooling face, selfie, face palm, fox face, avocado, bacon, and croissant, along with dozens of profession emoji.

Unicode 9 was first approved in June of 2016, so we can perhaps expect to see Apple adopt Unicode 10 within six months of its release.

Article Link: T-Rex, Hedgehog, Sandwich, Vampire and Zombie Among Emoji Proposed for 2017's Unicode 10

2. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I am betting that the breastfeeding one will never make it to official status

5. 2457282 Suspended

This country is burning. We are under attack from all sides. And then this.....
    What is wrong with you people?

/S

From a serious perspective, it is getting harder to find an emoji to use since there are so many. If they keep adding, I wonder if they will create some sort of index to help one find the emoji. The current method has me sliding all over the place.

6. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

7. aloshka macrumors 65816

Am I too damn old that I don't understand why this whole emoji bs is so important that there are mass releases and a governing body that regulates them??

I think smiley, frown face are about the only 2 I have ever used...

Damn it.. I am too old, aren't I?

8. 2457282 Suspended

Also, head scarfs are outlawed in France, so that will have to be a regional emoji. ;)

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Reportedly these new emojis are reserved for the next major upgrade of MacBook Pros.

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

It took me way too long to even figure out what that was, My eyes initially saw it as a neck hanging down with a head attached. which makes no sense I know.

11. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

12. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

I hope the plenary board meeting of all 110 country representatives, sufficiently educated, will make a sensible and academically justified decision about the humid poo emoji necessary to describe my feelings on reading this news.

13. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

14. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Same here. I thought it was a strange facepalm emoji, with your face literally falling into your palm.

15. iAbc21 macrumors newbie

iAbc21

Yes you're old :(

16. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Face with finger covering closed lips...Now that I saw this I know that I was missing this particularly one

17. peter2 macrumors regular

Please, macrumors, please, stop writing news about this nonsense.

18. pythagorasuk macrumors member

I am now convinced that Macrumors is trolling the readership! ;)

19. bighype macrumors regular

bighype

20. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

There is something wrong with anyone who uses this emoji crap in a digital conversation.

21. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

22. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't use the majority of them either. I have a few set as favorites on my third-party keyboard, and sometimes I go dig through the rest of them, but I'm still stuck in the IM/message board days where you'd use them sparingly.

You're not alone. I thought the same exact thing.

24. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

Enough already. I use 4, maybe 5 emoji total. This proliferation is completely unnecessary.

25. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

why are none of the emoticons mentioned on the picture?