T-shaped charger for new MBP?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Looking through the Apple store, and I see the charger for the new MacBook Pro. It looks like its the T-shaped one.

Anyone gone to WWDC notice if its T-shaped or L-shaped?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Looks like with the "Magsafe 2" on the new Retina MBP and the updated Air, they have gone back to the T style. It does use a metal connector housing though, rather than plastic like the old T connectors.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I hope it's more durable. I've had both my T's break within about a year and a half. Both times I was told I wouldn't get a free replacement siting different reasons. This L is OK so far, but it will soon complete a year with it.

Last edited:

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
I'm personally glad they're going back to the T-shaped charger. It seems a lot of people dislike them, but they pop out so much easier than the L-shaped ones. On more than one occasion, someone has tripped over my cord and my laptop went tumbling. This never happened with my T-shaped charger...

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If they can keep the cable strong right at the connection point it should be fine. That was the major issue with the T adapters.

I've actually noticed that the cable insulation on my newer L shaped adapter seems much more soft and prone to damage. Must be a result of trying to keep stuff like PVC out of their cables.

thatsfinebut

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Chicago
I'm glad they went back to the T shape Magsafe. I think it's much easier to plug in the T than the L. I always felt like the L shape of my MBP charger was a downgrade from the T shape of older MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.