T-shaped charger for new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonMac50, Jun 11, 2012.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Looking through the Apple store, and I see the charger for the new MacBook Pro. It looks like its the T-shaped one.

Anyone gone to WWDC notice if its T-shaped or L-shaped?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. NStocks macrumors 65816

I just saw this on engadget... I prefer the L shaped one but it's not the worst thing ever.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Looks like with the "Magsafe 2" on the new Retina MBP and the updated Air, they have gone back to the T style. It does use a metal connector housing though, rather than plastic like the old T connectors.

5. AnonMac50, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope it's more durable. I've had both my T's break within about a year and a half. Both times I was told I wouldn't get a free replacement siting different reasons. This L is OK so far, but it will soon complete a year with it.

6. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

I'm personally glad they're going back to the T-shaped charger. It seems a lot of people dislike them, but they pop out so much easier than the L-shaped ones. On more than one occasion, someone has tripped over my cord and my laptop went tumbling. This never happened with my T-shaped charger...

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If they can keep the cable strong right at the connection point it should be fine. That was the major issue with the T adapters.

I've actually noticed that the cable insulation on my newer L shaped adapter seems much more soft and prone to damage. Must be a result of trying to keep stuff like PVC out of their cables.

8. thatsfinebut macrumors member

I'm glad they went back to the T shape Magsafe. I think it's much easier to plug in the T than the L. I always felt like the L shape of my MBP charger was a downgrade from the T shape of older MBPs.