T Style Mag Safe Adapater

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tburk32, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tburk32 macrumors member

Someone I know is out of town and I am house sitting for them and they asked me to look at their Macbook because it wasn't charging for them. Turns out the T-style mag safe adapter is the issue and there must be a faulty wire somewhere in the adapter. I remember reading previously that Apple was replacing out of warranty T-style mag safe adapters due to a class actions suit. Are they still doing this? They asked me if I would mind going to the apple store for them while they are out of town. Would I be able to get it replaced by the genius bar without knowing their apple ID user name and password? Thanks in advance

2. Bear macrumors G3

3. gjb11 macrumors regular

Yes they are doing it. You need the serial number off of the mac

4. tburk32 thread starter macrumors member

They are replacing them even without the coupler being broken and the wires showing? Thats great tganks for your responses.

5. gjb11 macrumors regular

It has to show signs of strain as per the lawsuit. I tried with mine that's not damaged and was denied.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Don't worry, keep using it and it'll eventually happen.

7. gjb11 macrumors regular

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Nope, needs to show strain anywhere in the cable. I had enough uncertainty from the staff at the always helpful Chicago Michigan Ave location. It's a program not many know about due to our old cables.

9. gjb11 macrumors regular

They gave u crap at mich ave? I was gonna take mine there Saturday.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

Not really crap, just first had no idea. I had the email from the class action suit and it still took them some asking around. Then they said it was split 'at the wrong end' (though the suit and support article says at either end), but since everything else was in good condition after 4.5+ years that it wasn't my fault and replaced it.

It was just not as straight forward as any of my past repair/replacement experiences (2 top cases and a swollen battery).

11. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

My Apple Store wouldn't replace mine.
    The MacBook was too old.

I've heard stories of other people not even being asked for the Serial Numbers.

I wasn't that lucky.

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

That's odd. There's nothing in the settlement or program that states a cutoff date. My laptop was bought in March 2007 and I just replaced it in December 2011 or so.