Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
I have a quick question .... I just did a bandwidth speed test w my cable modem and it registers 2.5 Mbits/sec .... what you kinda expect (Comcast advertises 3 Mbits/sec). Now why would anyone rent a T1 for $500/month if it gives lower speed of 1.5 Mbits/sec? .... Just figuring out if we need a T1 line for a dorm with 10 people all doing IChat, apperently a cable modem and a $39/month subscriptio would do.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
What Capt Underpants said is correct.

Also, the speed of cable can vary though out the day. If you and your neighbor next door both have cable though the same service provider, and the neighbor is doing heavy uploading/downloading, your connection will be slightly affected in a negative way.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Capt Underpants said:
I think the difference is that a T1 has both 1.5 Mbits down and Up. Your cable connection has 3.0 Mbits down and maybe 512 Up (if you're lucky).

Ahh ok, forgot about that .... I guess a comcast business subscription isn't much better or as expensive. Thanks for the quick response.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Additionally, most T1 agreements allow for hosting, so you can run a server without worrying about your ISP shutting those ports down or turning off your service.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
10 people all doing iChat at once would be pretty hard on the connection. I think a normal cable connection would choke under those conditions (depending on the upload speed of your ISP).

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
The T1 line will definitely have less latency compared to the cable connection (this is good to have less of).

As far as comcast business class... Stay away!. Opened a new office in South Jersey a month ago. Most of the time the cable is out because they are "doing repairs on the network". Well why are they doing this durring normal business hours? This whole weekend I could not connect to the office. Plus they charge you a $50 setup fee and $30 a month just for wanting a static IP address.

With the T1, you could use some of the lines for your phone system too.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
A T1 line will come with an SLA (Service Level Agreement), with a guaranteed non-shared 1.5mbps both down and up. Cable modems are best-effort.

But unless you've got something truly mission critical on your network, I think a cable modem would be fine even for a business. Mission-critical stuff should be remotely hosted anyway - it's usually silly to run your own server.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ok now what's the difference between a T1 and a T2 or T3 and what happened to ISDN.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
MacNut said:
Ok now what's the difference between a T1 and a T2 or T3 and what happened to ISDN.

T2's and T4's run between central offices and are not used for the public. A T3 has a lot more lines than a T1 and can have speeds ~45Mb/s as opposed to 1.5Mb/s with a T1.

Now what you really need to get is an OC128!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
MacNut said:

isdn sucks and the only real difference between T1-T3 is speed.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
MacNut said:

ISDN is made up of two 64kbps (yes, kilobit) data paths. You could combine them and get 128kbps speeds (woo woo!), or use one for data and one for voice.

It was great technology... for the 1970s. :D (or was it early 1980s?) The problem is some business types have their minds stuck there. Our department fairly recently had its main office move into a new building. One item on which they wasted many thousands of dollars was a "high tech" ISDN videoconference room. Basically it's 1970s technology with a couple of LCD televisions stuck to the wall. In any case for all the wasted money they got an end product that's not really as good as what I get with my iSight camera.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Westside guy said:
ISDN is made up of two 64kbps (yes, kilobit) data paths. You could combine them and get 128kbps speeds (woo woo!), or use one for data and one for voice.....

Would an ISDN service suffer in the same way as an ADSL in that my ADSL is 512kbs but rarely acheives half that speed or is an ISDL 128kbs come rain or shine?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
ISDN, and other nailed lines for that matter, have guaranteed bandwidth, unlike broadband lines.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Westside guy said:
ISDN is made up of two 64kbps (yes, kilobit) data paths. You could combine them and get 128kbps speeds (woo woo!), or use one for data and one for voice.

It was great technology... for the 1970s. :D (or was it early 1980s?) The problem is some business types have their minds stuck there. Our department fairly recently had its main office move into a new building. One item on which they wasted many thousands of dollars was a "high tech" ISDN videoconference room. Basically it's 1970s technology with a couple of LCD televisions stuck to the wall. In any case for all the wasted money they got an end product that's not really as good as what I get with my iSight camera.

And don't forget that you could also do two 56kbps B-channels and 1 16kbps D-channel.. Although, I could never figure out why anyone would do that.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
mpw said:
Why?
I'm setting up an internet connection for my sister and her choices are dial-up or ISDN.

Obviously if you're limited to standard dial up or ISDN the latter is much better but its ridiculously expensive in terms of what you're getting for your money, especially when other hi speed connections are getting cheaper and faster.

The USB terminal adaptor drivers played havoc with my Powerbook :mad: The sooner I move (not long now :D ) the better. Ahhh 2mb Broadband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.