T2i SD card won't mount to desktop

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bmorris, May 6, 2010.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

I have the T2i with an 8 GB SD card.
    I downloaded the EOS plugin for FCP and corrected the .plist file.
    I installed the EOS utility and remote software from the disk that came with the camera.

I plugin my camera to USB, turn it on, but the SD card doesn't mount to the desktop.
    Everything shows up in Image Capture and on the EOS utility, but Image Capture on copies .MOV files.

And FCP Log and Capture doesn't see the camera.

What am I doing wrong to not be able to directly use FCP's Log and Capture with the T2i?

I've looked at videos and blogs on how to set this up, but nothing is working.
    And I don't have a SD card reader for now.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I know, the EOS cameras don't show their flash media as mountable volume in Finder, thus the need for EOS Utility or a card reader.

Btw, last I heard, .mov is a file format that is used as a container for video. Why don't you use that? It needs to be transcoded though of course.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You will need a card reader, they can be had really cheap these days.

Secondly, I'm not sure you are asking this, but you will not be able to capture directly into FCP as in filming in real time into the computer. You have to film to the SD card then pop it out and into a card reader.

4. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I was just wondering for standard workflow, but is there a way to record video straight to a computer?

I'm getting a card reader, just wanted to see the test files today.
    Oh well, that should fix it, thanks.

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Flash vs Tape

I thought the log and transfer was only for tape.
    The log and transfer from a card is just digital files going onto the hard drive.

6. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

Log and Capture is for tape.
    Log and Transfer is for digital.
    It let's you add metadata, select I/O points, choose audio and video signals, and can convert video on ingestion.

I've used it with P2 cards b/c the files are a different format that you can't edit with, and with DSLR video it converts H.264 files to ProRes because H.264 isn't good for editing.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is not entirely correct.

Log and capture is for analogue (if you have any) and DIGITAL tapes, as DV, HDV and Digi Beta and DVCPro HD and many other current tape formats are DIGITAL.

Log and Transfer is for file-based media, which is digital too.

From the FCP 7 manual:

You use the Log and Capture window to capture tape-based footage.

You use the Log and Transfer window to transfer file-based media into your Final Cut Pro projects.

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Um that was covered by the second part of my post. No you won't be able to capture directly from the camera in real time.