Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stewaj03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2017
Hi,

Recently I have noticed that the tab feature inside Sierra is covering the top part of a windows text/options in certain apps. I have attached a screenshot of LibreOffice 5.2.5's preferences where you can this in action. With this app being recent I don't see how this would be missed if its something they need to program in themselves.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix/disable it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 21.17.38.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 21.17.38.png
    409.4 KB · Views: 218

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Hi,

Recently I have noticed that the tab feature inside Sierra is covering the top part of a windows text/options in certain apps. I have attached a screenshot of LibreOffice 5.2.5's preferences where you can this in action. With this app being recent I don't see how this would be missed if its something they need to program in themselves.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix/disable it?

Thanks.
Same issue here. LibreOffice's own toolbar icons are covered by Sierra's tab-bar. No scaling for resolution used. (MacBookPro Retina 2015).
It appears that what you're seeing has been reported as a LibreOffice bug. The screenshot linked in the bug report's first post matches @Stewaj03 's. I don't have a Sierra installation so I'm unable to test the possible workarounds.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103486

In particular, read this post for the reported workarounds:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103486#c14
macOS Sierra (ver. 10.12.0 and up) introduced in September 2016, has a new feature - tabbed windows.

The feature is configured in: System Preferences --> Dock --> "Prefer tabs when opening windows:" which can be set to one of:
* Always
* In Full Screen Only
* Manually

When this OS-level feature kicks-in on LibreOffice (LO), all LO windows are opened as tabs in a single window - that's nice, right? Wrong, because you also get a row of tab labels displayed immediately under the window title-bar, overlapping the top of LO window content that you just might like to see.

Workaround suggestions:
-----------------------

* Live the life of a normal person, without everything tabbed, by setting "System Preferences" --> Dock --> "Prefer tabs when opening windows:" to "Manually". IMHO the Sierra tabs are a tad unsightly and bland - you won't miss them. Mission Control is a cool/slick/useful macOS feature with handy keyboard shortcuts, which makes the job of navigating between a plethora of windows real easy.

* If you can't tear yourself away from the new shiny apple-scented eden of tabs, and you care to see all of your LO window content as well, then right-click the lovely (but obstructing) tab header in LO window, and select "Move Tab To New Window", every time the tabs pop-up, again, and again and again...

kalandaka

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2017
@rshrugged: Thanks for pointing me to the LibreOffice forums. The issue remains unsolved but I am happy to live with the workarounds and my choices – knowing the bug is in LibreOffice's camp and wiill hopefully be addressed in the near future.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
@rshrugged: Thanks for pointing me to the LibreOffice forums. The issue remains unsolved but I am happy to live with the workarounds and my choices – knowing the bug is in LibreOffice's camp and wiill hopefully be addressed in the near future.
You're welcome. Glad I could help. I haven't used LO for quite a while. They had a bunch of good contributors back then, probably still do. It's not easy to keep up with OS changes.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Forcing some apps to open with tabs also creates odd behaviors. One such app would be GIMP.

It's most likely something the developers forgot to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.