iPad Tabbed browsing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joshtheburrito, Nov 1, 2013.

1. joshtheburrito macrumors member

I purchased an iPad air today and have been testing out safari performance. Compared to my old iPad mini, this thing blows. Mine has to reload pages with only 3 tabs open!!!???

Considering web browsing is the #1 most used feature on my iPad, I'm really disappointed.

I love everything else about it, I just wish there was a way to keep multiple tabs loaded up at one time.

(Btw, all apps are cleared from multitasking except safari)

Anyone else disappointed with the browser performance?

2. existe macrumors member

existe

Not experiencing the same behavior. Have 6 tabs open right now and it's very stable, smooth and responsive, no reloading.

3. joshtheburrito thread starter macrumors member

Ok, that's good to hear. I'm glad it's just mine. I think I'm going to have to do a restore then.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I think it really comes down to how much memory each tab you have open consumes.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Depends on the tabs. With macrumors, the verge, reddit, a kickstarter page and apple.com one will always reload.

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Safari's behaviour fluctuates. If nearly all other apps are closed, it can hold 6 or 7 tabs (not tried more, I rarely use more than that) without the need to refresh/reload. If you use Safari having had loads of other stuff open previously, occasionally it won't even hold a single tab other than the one you're currently on.

I normally put no faith in those terrible "free memory" apps you can find on the store, but I do actually use it as it's essentially a quick fire way of closing all other apps without having to manually do it. App I use is called FreeMemory, long since pulled off the store, and after freeing memory it actually crashes, it's done this since ios6 days as it's never been updated, but it does the trick and quickly. There's probably a better, modern equivalent. After using free memory, Safari behaves like I mentioned in the first instance above, not the second. Annoying that I have to do this though, wish it had more ram, heyho.

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I had the same experience. Old iPad 4 seems fine, new Air was reloading pages with only three tabs open.

8. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

8 tabs here, same experience. :)