Tabbed PDF viewing app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Apr 10, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Does anyone know of a good app that will organize PDFs in tabs within a single window (a la FireFox with web sites)? I often have a lot of PDFs open, and having Preview windows everywhere gets quite cluttered.

Alternatively, is there a way to make FireFox open PDFs within the brower like it does in Windows?

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

That's an easy one. You just go to any PDF and hit get info. There's a spot in the get info window that shows the default application this type of file opens in. Change the application to firefox, then hit change all. Now, all your pdfs will open in firefox.

Cheers :)

3. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That doesn't work -- I can't select FireFox as an app to open PDFs with.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

That's wierd... You know, it might be giving you the "suggested apps" only when you do that, and I know there's a way to get it to select from all programs. I'm not at a mac right now to give it a look though. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get back to my mac, i'll give it a looksie.

5. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK I saw what you mean. I forced it to open with FireFox, but FireFox doesn't know what to do with it. It just then asks me to open it in Preview again.

I'm guessing I have to install some sort of Adobe reader plugin for FireFox. I don't want to though, I hate how much Adobe's crap bogs browsers down in Windows. I'd much rather find a nice Preview-like app that can handle tabs.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hmmm... you do know that when preview opens more than one image at once it does organize them in a tab-like fashion. They show up as one window with a sidebar and previews of all the pics and you can shuffle through them. I guess it doesn't do this with PDFs because it shows page information instead of tabs, thought, I haven't explored preview enough to tell you that it CAN'T do what you're asking. It would be great if the functionality was already there. I can't think of any freeware apps that could do this.

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this would work, but have you tried dragging pdfs into safari? I think it supports it natively + it supports tabs, so... the perfect (and free) solution perhaps? :)

8. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Hey, good idea! It works! I have finally found a use for Safari, LOL :D