tabbing between controls on a window using keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by schmintan, Apr 12, 2007.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

when i tap the power button on my MBP to bring up the shutdown/restart window, the shutdown button is always in focus. if i hit tab on the keyboard, the focus doesnt leave the shutdown key. how do you cycle between controls on a form using macOSX?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Go to System Preferences and enable full keyboard access. I don't remember what section of System Preferences this option exists under, though.

3. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

In Tiger, you can type 'full' into the search box on the system preferences window and it highlights what your looking for - Keyboard & Mouse

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It doesn't seem to work for me... For instance, in Photoshop, when I press cmd + W, it asks me if I want to Don't save - Cancel - Save

On windows, I tab until the desired option is highlighted, and then I enter

How on earth can I go from one option to another and then selecting it without using the mouse? :confused:

Any answer would be VERY appreciated.

5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

The Enter key always selects the default action. That is the button that is blue or gray. To activate the button you've selected with the tab key, hit the space bar. The selected element has a more subtle effect outlining the border.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Thank you very much!

It still doesn't work in Photoshop, but it does on Word and the system! :)