Table Issue in Safari

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by oklibrarian, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. oklibrarian macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #1
    I'm currently in the midst of finishing the CSS for an updated layout for our library. The old site was created using tables solely. So I've created a new stylesheet with CSS. The homepage is updated and doesn't have any issues. However, we are on a time crunch and cannot make updated stylesheets for EVERY inside page so we developed a CSS stylesheet to update the header and footer and leave the body as the original text or layout. This is where we run into the issue. Here is an example of the page that is having an issue in Safari: http://www.metrolibrary.org/mls/services.html

    All of the body is shifted over to the right and not within the original container. I've completed some searches on this but can't find anything that has worked for us. Does anyone have any tips for getting this resolved?

    We are also experiencing an issue within Dreamweaver and everything is shifted exactly the same way. Am I missing something?
     
  2. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

    brisbaneguy29

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    Brisbane
    #2
    It looks like your main body area is sitting in a div called "maincontent", but I can't seem to see "maincontent" defined anywhere in your CSS. I can see in your CSS you have "main-text-area", but not "maincontent". Check that your DIV's are defined in your CSS.
     
  3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

    angelwatt

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2005
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    Well, you have a bit of HTML validation issues. Such as using a tag called "left" that doesn't even exist. Your CSS also has a number of validation issues, one where you forgot the # in front of a color on the body selector. Not sure if fixing all these issues will solve it for Safari, but would be a good start.
     
  4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #4
    Yep, that seems to be the issue. I couldn't find #maincontent in the CSS, either, but I did see #main-text-area.
     
  5. oklibrarian thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #5
    Thanks! I figured out I referenced the character set twice as well. I changed the document type and went through the validation. From 54 to 7 errors. I feel a lot better about this product now. Thanks again for all of your help.
     

Share This Page