Table market so large Apple should offer 3 versions.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Jun 20, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

One size does not fit all. The world is full of S, M, L, XL, XXL, and XXXXXXXXL.
    We expect size selection, its almost a right, why believe one size of iPad be accepted by everyone?

The demand for tablets has exploded and people are looking at what works for them best. Sure iPad is the by far the best, but that is not enough for people to buy it.

In 2010 one size was perfect, today it is a serious liability because it does not give customers choices.

Apple has several sizes of MacBook, MBAir's, iMac's
    Offer 3 versions of iPod's.
    And still produce 2 older generations of iPhones (3GS and 4).
    iPad is only 1, with last years model.

Meanwhile most competition offers at least 2 versions, Samsung offering 4, maybe 5.

Apple needs:
    9.8"
    7.8"
    and perhaps a
    10.1" in 16:9 wide screen format, possibly same format as 2012 iPhone (5?) format.

You may not agree with the proposed sizes, but Apple does need to offer different versions.
    (I want the XXXXXXXXXXL one ;) )

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, Samsung offers more sizes, but the iPad is still selling more. How do you explain that?

Also, interestingly enough, Microsoft, who can't resist offering multiple versions of everything, announced two versions of their new Surface tablet, with different processor architecture and different versions of Windows OS, but they are both the same size.

3. RestUnknown macrumors regular

iPhone is only one size and yet they sell like crazy.
    Yes Samsung has like 100 different choices (and yes they and Apple rule the smartphone market), but in my opinion I love Apple for not creating 10 different versions of what is basically the same. It makes things easier for them (the apps, the power the device has,...) and also for the consumer, you have to choose the one that is available so no wondering if you bought the right one.

I truly hope they don't change it.

4. nohaver macrumors member

Apple's success is a direct result of them not conforming and giving into the market. I think they're doing just fine with the current model and keeping things simplified actually attribute to increased sales.

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I don't think Apple will break into the furniture market anytime soon.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

One size - no harder work for developers, no confusion for consumers. Google have made too many devices and now fragmentation has occurred. Microsoft will also be releasing two tablets that are similar but will cause confusion because they both run Windows.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Give it a rest. "Most competitors" don't offer multiple sizes and those that do are reacting to the market that the iPad created, basically throwing everything against a wall to see what sticks.

Apple has a plan and if a smaller device fits into that plan then you'll see it, but arguing that it's a business necessity because people "expect size selection" is pointless.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

How can you possibly justify such a silly statement as "size choice being a necessity" when the iPad is still dominating the tablet market, with all of the other "size choices" still desperately trying to catch up. You can bet that the only reason you are seeing so many size choices is because they are trying to find any little niche that Apple hasn't covered just to stay alive. As long as Apple continues to be the standard by which all other tablets are being judged, they don't need to offer any other sizes. If they ever decide to go that route, however, it would probably crush a whole lot of their competitors (and cause a lot of CEOs to throw themselves out of their highrises in the process).

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Better software and ecosystem.

3 versions of one size.

Then why Apple makes:
    11" and 13" MBA
    13" and 15" MBP
    24" and 27" iMac
    Shuffle, Nano, and Classic iPods. (in multiple colors!!)
    and
    3GS, 4, and 4S version of iPhone.

If you can explain why Apple makes so many versions of other items, then you win.

----------

Um, isn't that the point?

10. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Just reduce the price of your tablet and you will destroy all competition.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple didn't jump into any of those markets with multiple sizes. They established a foothold and then figured out where they could compete most effectively.

As for the 3GS, 4 and 4S versions of the iPhone, that's more analogous to selling the iPad 2 alongside the new iPad - which Apple's doing.

You keep bringing this up like it's a critical step for Apple but real life requires more than wishful thinking. There's this fantasy going around about a $199 iPad-mini coming out this fall that also makes no sense. Aside from the fact that Apple couldn't build and sell an Apple-quality device for that price, Apple would be competing with itself in addition to other manufacturers if it came out with a smaller device.

12. RestUnknown macrumors regular

Yeah 3 versions of one size, but it's still the same physical appearance and same power running the device. The amount of gb's won't change programming, updates,...

Different colors, but still the same physical hardware.

And the different notebooks and iMacs, that's because there's simply different uses of a notebook/desktop for everyone. Some need portability, some need power.
    And I think Apple believe there's only need for one iPad, if you need a smaller iPad, you're better off with an iPhone/iPod Touch. The iPad is just the perfect size, it doesn't need to be more portable (until Apple believes there's a market for it, which I don't see at the moment). Plus a valid argument of the person above me that Apple makes luxury devices, cheaper would mean less build quality etc...

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

So it's wrong if anyone else does it but right if apple does it? That's just plain fanboyism.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You said that they need to do it. They do not need to do it. THAT is the point. If they ever decided to do it, then I'm sure it will do well. But they are already beating all other tablets at all sizes. So clearly, at this time, there is no reason they should start trying to compete with other tablet makers as long as they are the ones everyone else is trying to catch up to.

None of us here knows what Apple will do, but they certainly don't need to do anything right now.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

I for one hopes Apple stays with the 4:3 format. I prefer it over 16:9 :)

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You overlooked XS.

The concept works if you're a clothing manufacturer.

17. RestUnknown macrumors regular

That's just a misplaced sentence. I meant Apple won't bring it out until they think their is a market for it.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The average joe doesn't want to choose - They want the right size to be chosen for them :)

19. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You pointed out exactly where Apple is. They established not just a new product but an entire category (again). After 2.5 years they are in perfect position to make other designs. Even "unsuccessful" designs will still sell millions.

I could have pointed out the iPad 2, but the changes over the iPhone models are significantly greater over time.

The $199 iPad Mini is completely stupid idea floating around. I would be surprised if Apple would sell it for $250.
    A $299 Mini, $399 iPad 2, and $499 iPad G3 would be much more likely and offer broad appeal.

I was going to say more, but it looks like you made the argument for me.

I want/need a smaller iPad, don't resolution more then 1024x768.
    And I do have an iPhone and iPT, but they are toooooo small, no good.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

he speaks the truth :D

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

And you know that how? If Apple is selling a product at $499 and making a 30% profit that's roughly $170 dollars. If they come out with a functionally identical product in a smaller size that sells for $299 (for the sake of argument) that's $100 profit. So they'd have to sell 1.7 of the smaller units relative to every standard iPad they would have sold.

I don't believe that the entire world is waiting for a more affordable iPad although there are undoubtedly people who would buy at a lower price point. However, there are also going to be people who would have bought at the higher price point for whom the less expensive model is equally appealing.

You can't just say Apple "will sell millions" of product X without understanding how it will affect sales of product Y, or, most importantly, how it will affect Apple's profitability going forward.

Apple isn't built to compete at the low end of the market. I doubt they could build a device to sell for $299, I suspect it will be more like $399 (maybe even $449). For the value-driven buyer, it won't be an option, they'll be buying the $200 whatever-brand.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You do realize that the latest gen iPod touch starts at $299, right? The $199 model is the previous gen model.

23. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is a backwards way of marking something!
    I can point to a number of very successful products that had ZERO (0%) margin, yet sold millions and made the company money! Of course margin is considered, but that is one of several variables.

Another factor is Apple is also a SOFTWARE and MEDIA company! The more TOTAL devices Apple sells, the more $$$ they make. A small loss in big iPads well worth a bigger gain in total iPad units.
    I personally know 2 people who only will buy a smaller iPad (don't have one now).

If Apple does not compete with low end market, then explain to me about the "Mac Mini" and its $499 price point? (these days $599). IIRC, the MacBook also once sold for $899.

You usually are better in your arguments, what gives?

iPod Touch starts at $184.99. Even more reason for a $299 iPad Mini.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

Rather than being backward, it's a fairly realistic way of looking at it. If the market is demanding smaller then price won't be a roadblock. If the market is demanding smaller because the expectation is that it will be cheaper then that makes no sense for Apple.

The "give away the device and profit off content" strategy is not how Apple runs its business. Take a look at the quarterly reports that have led to Apple's current success. They're all hardware based and reflect sales at a relatively high margin that needs to be maintained to meet market expectations.

Apple can't simply say "we have a huge cash reserve so let's take a few quarters off and see if we can't reinvent ourselves. The current pricing of shares contains a good amount of future expectations, so jumping into your new business model is a surefire way of having the share price plummet to $50.

And getting back to your "marketing" point, take the Toshiba Thrive as an example, the entry-level 10" and 7" share the same $379 price point. Toshiba understands that you don't gain anything from competing against yourself. Microsoft has a single tablet size as well.

Running multi-billion-dollar corporations requires far more complex thinking than "let's make lots of sizes so we'll make everyone happy."