Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Question for anyone who uses the Wacom tablets:

I'm looking for a tablet to use with Aperture, mostly for the Dodge/Burn tools and retouching for photo's. My trackball and mouse aren't working out to well for it. My trackball is the best, but I was thinking a tablet might be the best option. If it can speed up my workflow, then that will definitely be a big plus.

problem, is I've heard of various issues with Aperture and the tablet, and its not listed as supported on the Wacom pages. Probably would use it in conjunction with my trackball.

I would be looking @ the Bamboo first, maybe an intous if I find it will work better.

thanks in advance!

-romanaz

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Question for anyone who uses the Wacom tablets:

I'm looking for a tablet to use with Aperture, mostly for the Dodge/Burn tools and retouching for photo's. My trackball and mouse aren't working out to well for it. My trackball is the best, but I was thinking a tablet might be the best option. If it can speed up my workflow, then that will definitely be a big plus.

problem, is I've heard of various issues with Aperture and the tablet, and its not listed as supported on the Wacom pages. Probably would use it in conjunction with my trackball.

I would be looking @ the Bamboo first, maybe an intous if I find it will work better.

thanks in advance!

-romanaz

I use Photoshop of this kind of work. I'd recommend Photoshop Elements if all you are doing is retouch work on photos. Buy the "Bamboo Fun" version and inside the box is a bundled "free" copy of Photoshop Elements. The adobe tols are better than Apple's and Adobe Photoshop suports layers so you can have a non-destructive retouch layer in your PSD file.

The Bamboo is good enough for photographers. Get the Intous if yu are doing any graphic art work or needed to simulat natural media. Inous allows you to rotate the pen nib and control the angle of the airbrush. Both are must have features for painters but not needed by photographers.

Bottom line is that Photoshop Elements is free if you buy a Wacom tablet other then the lowest priced Bamboo package.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
I use Photoshop of this kind of work. I'd recommend Photoshop Elements if all you are doing is retouch work on photos. Buy the "Bamboo Fun" version and inside the box is a bundled "free" copy of Photoshop Elements. The adobe tols are better than Apple's and Adobe Photoshop suports layers so you can have a non-destructive retouch layer in your PSD file.

The Bamboo is good enough for photographers. Get the Intous if yu are doing any graphic art work or needed to simulat natural media. Inous allows you to rotate the pen nib and control the angle of the airbrush. Both are must have features for painters but not needed by photographers.

Bottom line is that Photoshop Elements is free if you buy a Wacom tablet other then the lowest priced Bamboo package.

I already have CS3 photoshop, but the thing is, I'd rather not have to take out of Aperture (where I import, manage and batch adjust photo's) to just to dodge and burning. I gladly take into CS3 when I need to really retouch and fix an image.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I have what you need as per Aperture 2 and a Wacom tablet, not a Bamboo but I will try some dodge and burn sometime tomorrow and post back for you unless someone else does it first. I have a few photos that I wanted to try this with and my art room is temporarily back together :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.